Shells Along the Beach
I spoke of purple mountains and of amber grain that waves.
And hark, the ring of freedom down a costly road it paves.
Then one day with my students came a pause to hear me preach.
Now they would hear the meaning of these, 'Shells Along the Beach.'
The saddest tale I promised, and to hear can change the man.
I swear I've seen some afterwards that found it hard to stand.
And if my tale will frighten you, I'm never out of reach.
As I commit your memories, these 'Shells Along the Beach.'
No favor'd winds or calming tides where sounds remain the same.
For once we knew the faces, everyone but by their name.
The bravest men that battled say the silence ought to teach.
That all that's left in quiet time are these, 'Shells Along the Beach.'
Thomas Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The Poetaster 2013
Comments about this poem (Shells Along the Beach by Thomas Adams )
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Jugnoo, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- that smelly stuff that gets real and som.., Mandolyn ...
- The Rice Eaters, Tony Adah
- Epilogue, Lawrence Beck
- broken wing, Cee Bea
- Planet Control, Joseph Archer
- My Struggle, Michael P. McParland
- Nervous Wreck, Michael P. McParland
- Bäume, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Infinity Divided By Zero, Michael P. McParland
- Inner nightmare, iluneos periform