Shells Along the Beach
I spoke of purple mountains and of amber grain that waves.
And hark, the ring of freedom down a costly road it paves.
Then one day with my students came a pause to hear me preach.
Now they would hear the meaning of these, 'Shells Along the Beach.'
The saddest tale I promised, and to hear can change the man.
I swear I've seen some afterwards that found it hard to stand.
And if my tale will frighten you, I'm never out of reach.
As I commit your memories, these 'Shells Along the Beach.'
No favor'd winds or calming tides where sounds remain the same.
For once we knew the faces, everyone but by their name.
The bravest men that battled say the silence ought to teach.
That all that's left in quiet time are these, 'Shells Along the Beach.'
Thomas Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The Poetaster 2013
Comments about this poem (Shells Along the Beach by Thomas Adams )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind, William Shakespeare
- The Shoelace, Charles Bukowski
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Vampire, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Waiting Impatiently, Amitava Sur
- Recalling with Emotion in Foreign Land (.., Luo Zhihai
- To Live and to Love, Hannington Mumo
- The bad boy mentality, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- A sunflower soul, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- BFF - dOnE - playing kEtCh uP, sEaN nOrTh
- A 360 turn, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- an i like you that way - sweetest thing .., sEaN nOrTh
- Longing, Michael P. McParland