A Moments Note
I feel that when I'm at a place,
hear a tune or smell a smell.
The feeling that I've been before
is my moment in time to tell.
The strangest chill comes over me
and I am taken back.
To that exact same place before.
On down familiar track.
This burst of 'rude awakening'
will chime and then will flee.
Yet grips me for a moments note,
a memory's shopping spree.
The faces and the things I did
are remembered just like that.
How I would run or talk to you,
or exactly how I sat.
I feel befuddled and mixed a bit,
but soon it goes away.
I mention it to you my friend
for I felt it just today.
We stood beside the station love,
the noisy train a halt.
You turned to wave goodbye and then
you said twas no ones fault.
That you would go and I should stay
for task left me to do.
When I was done you promised me
that I'd be seeing you.
forty years has now gone by
and I've not seen or heard,
from you my closest, dearest friend.
nor mere a word referred.
But time respects the confidant.
allows a bloke to gloat.
I hope that time again will grant
me grip your moment's note.
The Poetaster Jun/1999
Thomas Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Moments Note by Thomas Adams )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- the lights are still up, Bull Hawking
- Unclassified, Kela LewisMorin
- Someone Else, Kela LewisMorin
- Fortunate, Kela LewisMorin
- Intangible Tangent, Kela LewisMorin
- A Night On The Tiles, Kela LewisMorin
- Home Alone, Kela LewisMorin
- nobody ever finds the one, Frank Avon
- when you get someone, Bull Hawking
- Ode to the Cereal Bowl: after Bukowski's.., Frank Avon