In 1966, in a small village in South Wales, on the 21st. of October, Pantglas Junior School was engulfed by a slide of mud and coal slag. One hundred and forty four souls lost their lives, including one hundred and sixteen children.
The sky was grey and sullen
Shrapnel rain struck window pane.
Inside sat fresh scrubbed faces
Pink with expectation.
Hair, filled with mischief
Notes passed, with intention.
Teachers with vocation
Intent on revelation.
Unearthly sounds reverberated
Silent breaths were held.
Death's hounds were near, and convocated
Close upon this ground.
Suddenly, the valley, silent
Not a sound was heard.
We looked in shock, in total awe
Could God be this absurd?
We tried with bloodied fingers
But to no avail.
The filth that took these poor young souls
Had handed us no trail.
So, where were you upon this day?
And where was our sweet lord?
When these young souls should meet their end
Could this be his accord?
So, this I ask each one of you,
I ask it too, of me,
Is each soul that died that day?
Nearer God, to thee?
Owain Glyn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Aberfan by Owain Glyn )
- America, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A Darkened Beauty, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Contemplation-6, another key...., Marshall Gass
- We Speak English., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Discotheque, Marshall Gass
- Come, Come....., Marshall Gass
- From In the mind, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Gramma's house., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Rubber-Band, Marshall Gass
- Stepping Into Your Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)