Joachim du Bellay (1525 - 1 January 1560 / Château of La Turmelière, Lire)
Joachim du Bellay was a French poet, critic, and a member of the Pléiade.
Joachim Du Bellay was born at the Château of La Turmelière, not far from Liré, near Angers, being the son of Jean du Bellay, Lord of Gonnor, first cousin of the cardinal Jean du Bellay and of Guillaume du Bellay. His mother was Renée Chabot, daughter of Perceval Chabot and heiress of La Turmelière (Plus me plaît le séjour qu'ont bâti mes aïeux).
Both his parents died while he was still a child, and he was left to the guardianship of his elder brother, René du Bellay, who neglected his education, leaving him to run wild at La Turmelière. When he was twenty-three, ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A l'ambitieux et avare ennemi des bonnes...
- A Madame Marguerite, d'écrire en sa lang...
- A monsieur d'Avanson
- A son livre
- A Sonnet To Heavenly Beauty
- A Vénus
- A Vow to Heavenly Venus
- Après avoir longtemps erré sur le rivage
- Astres cruels, et vous dieux inhumains
- Au fleuve de Loire
- Au Roi
- Autant comme l'on peut en un autre langa...
- Ayant tant de malheurs gémi profondément