Joachim du Bellay
I do not write of love: I am no lover.
I do not write of beauty: I have no woman.
I do not write of gentleness but the human
rudeness I see. And my pleasures are all over,
so I do not try to write of pleasure, but only
misery. Favors? No, I am on my own.
I do not write of riches: I have none.
Or of life at court, when I'm far from it and lonely.
I do not write of health, for I'm often ill.
I cannot write of France from a Roman hill.
Or honor? I see so little of that about.
I cannot write of friendship but only pretence.
I will not write of virtue, here in its absence.
Or knowledge or faith, in ignorance and doubt.
Joachim du Bellay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (79 by Joachim du Bellay )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Passion and Risks, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip