Joachim du Bellay
I do not write of love: I am no lover.
I do not write of beauty: I have no woman.
I do not write of gentleness but the human
rudeness I see. And my pleasures are all over,
so I do not try to write of pleasure, but only
misery. Favors? No, I am on my own.
I do not write of riches: I have none.
Or of life at court, when I'm far from it and lonely.
I do not write of health, for I'm often ill.
I cannot write of France from a Roman hill.
Or honor? I see so little of that about.
I cannot write of friendship but only pretence.
I will not write of virtue, here in its absence.
Or knowledge or faith, in ignorance and doubt.
Joachim du Bellay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (79 by Joachim du Bellay )
- meri sohbat me........., sanjay kumar maurya
- Let me know, Cee Bea
- Reflection After Reading The Turn of the.., Mark R. Elias
- My Naija, My pride(A Love), Richard Momodu
- I wonder, Cee Bea
- Did God Rest On The Seventh Day?, michael hagwood
- e parindo se mera pata........, sanjay kumar maurya
- Pam Ayers the letter, lee fones
- My Sweetness, Cathy Hodgson
- Seeing Aspiration, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)