Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Who is at my door?
He said, 'Who is at my door?'
I said, 'Your humble servant.'
He said, 'What business do you have?'
I said, 'To greet you, 0 Lord.'
He said, 'How long will you journey on?'
I said, 'Until you stop me.'
He said, 'How long will you boil in the fire?'
I said, 'Until I am pure.
'This is my oath of love.
For the sake of love
I gave up wealth and position.'
He said, 'You have pleaded your case
but you have no witness.'
I said, 'My tears are my witness;
the pallor of my face is my proof.'
He said, 'Your witness has no credibility;
your eyes are too wet to see.'
I said, 'By the splendor of your justice
my eyes are clear and faultless.'
He said, 'What do you seek?'
I said, 'To have you as my constant friend.'
He said, 'What do you want from me?'
I said, 'Your abundant grace.'
He said, 'Who was your companion on the journey?
I said, 'The thought of you, 0 King.'
He said, 'What called you here?'
I said, 'The fragrance of your wine.'
He said, 'What brings you the most fulfillment?'
I said, 'The company of the Emperor.'
He said, 'What do you find there?'
I said, 'A hundred miracles.'
He said, 'Why is the palace deserted?'
I said, 'They all fear the thief.'
He said, 'Who is the thief?'
I said, 'The one who keeps me from -you.
He said, 'Where is there safety?'
I said, 'In service and renunciation.'
He said, 'What is there to renounce?'
I said, 'The hope of salvation.'
He said, 'Where is there calamity?'
I said, 'In the presence of your love.'
He said, 'How do you benefit from this life?'
I said, 'By keeping true to myself
Now it is time for silence.
If I told you about His true essence
You would fly from your self and be gone,
and neither door nor roof could hold you back!
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Who is at my door? by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- My Country, Dorothea Mackeller
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- I Do Love, michael walkerjohn
- My Pretty Baby, Vera Sidhwa
- Christmas Holiday Guest, louis rams
- Pretty Baby, Vera Sidhwa
- I Thought of You Today, Vera Sidhwa
- I Love You Kira 5, Michael P. McParland
- "JU kwa JUU", michael walkerjohn
- Blood that killed two, Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- fade away, Maya Hanson (mye3)
- Come Two Three, michael walkerjohn