Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
When the Rose is gone
When the rose is gone and the garden faded
you will no longer hear the nightingale's song.
The Beloved is all; the lover just a veil.
The Beloved is living; the lover a dead thing.
If love withholds its strengthening care,
the lover is left like a bird without care,
the lover is left like a bird without wings.
How will I be awake and aware
if the light of the Beloved is absent?
Love wills that this Word be brought forth
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (When the Rose is gone by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Life's Little Pleasures..., Rajesh Thankappan
- The Sun And The Moon, Pijush Biswas
- Is Adil Jussawalla The Eklavya, Abhimany.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Envy The Rats, Kyle Schlicher
- Thanks for elienating me., Tiyani Shadrack Manganya
- Ain't Try'n Deny'n, Steve Kittell
- You is Me, Mapung Madura
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra