Today... 'The Resurrection and The Life'
‘He's mine' boasted the grave in victory
'He is dead so now he belongs to me'
But Christ was King of kings and Lord of Lords
and Death and Hell have to obey His words.
He is the Resurrection and the Life
and He has conquered Death through sacrifice.
'Remove the grave clothing and let him go'
This Jesus has the power to make it so.
The grave can no more gloat in victory
It's been conquered by the King of Glory
Death no longer has any hold on me
now that my Lord Jesus has set me free
I was dead and in sins sepulchre lay
And then I heard the voice of Jesus say
'Roy come forth from the dead', I came to him
and stood at the cross wrapped in all my sin
He washed me in His blood so pure and clean
I was made the cleanest I'd ever been
Sins linen bands He removed from my soul
and I stood before Him restored and whole
Come witness the miracle taken place
Here stands a poor vile sinner saved by grace
For the Holy Spirit has quickened me
And the power of Jesus set me free
Roy Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Martha answered, 'I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.' Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this? '
All quotations ©NIV
The Bible calls You by many names
each one giving a glimpse of Your glory.
Like a cut diamond radiating in the sun
with every facet depicting a glorious
aspect of Your Divine Nature.
Today I have thought of You as
'The Resurrection and the life'
Low in the grave he lay, Jesus my Savior,
waiting the coming day, Jesus my Lord!
Up from the grave he arose;
with a mighty triumph o'er his foes;
he arose a victor from the dark domain,
and he lives forever, with his saints to reign.
He arose! He arose! Hallelujah! Christ arose!
2. Vainly they watch his bed, Jesus my Savior,
vainly they seal the dead, Jesus my Lord!
3. Death cannot keep its prey, Jesus my Savior;
he tore the bars away, Jesus my Lord!
Robert Lowry (1826-99)
Comments about this poem (Today... 'The Resurrection and The Life' by Roy Allen )
- Describe, Aparna Chatterjee
- Unfringe A Singaporean Poem (Nonconform.., Merton Lee
- Quizz with broad hints for blind poets, T (no first name) Wignesan
- My Hijab, Samudeen M.A. Ilimu
- Wet Casements, John Ashbery
- The Work, Allen Grossman
- Eideolon, Book 3, Section 7, H. D.
- The winter of forever, Cee Bea
- TO DIE, Dennis Field
- from Gilgamesh: Tablet 1, David Ferry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Bhavarthadipika Chapter 1, Sant Dnyaneshwar
- A Time to Talk, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Conscience, Henry David Thoreau
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1275 – 1296)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)