Today... 'The Resurrection and The Life'
‘He's mine' boasted the grave in victory
'He is dead so now he belongs to me'
But Christ was King of kings and Lord of Lords
and Death and Hell have to obey His words.
He is the Resurrection and the Life
and He has conquered Death through sacrifice.
'Remove the grave clothing and let him go'
This Jesus has the power to make it so.
The grave can no more gloat in victory
It's been conquered by the King of Glory
Death no longer has any hold on me
now that my Lord Jesus has set me free
I was dead and in sins sepulchre lay
And then I heard the voice of Jesus say
'Roy come forth from the dead', I came to him
and stood at the cross wrapped in all my sin
He washed me in His blood so pure and clean
I was made the cleanest I'd ever been
Sins linen bands He removed from my soul
and I stood before Him restored and whole
Come witness the miracle taken place
Here stands a poor vile sinner saved by grace
For the Holy Spirit has quickened me
And the power of Jesus set me free
Roy Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Martha answered, 'I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.' Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this? '
All quotations ©NIV
The Bible calls You by many names
each one giving a glimpse of Your glory.
Like a cut diamond radiating in the sun
with every facet depicting a glorious
aspect of Your Divine Nature.
Today I have thought of You as
'The Resurrection and the life'
Low in the grave he lay, Jesus my Savior,
waiting the coming day, Jesus my Lord!
Up from the grave he arose;
with a mighty triumph o'er his foes;
he arose a victor from the dark domain,
and he lives forever, with his saints to reign.
He arose! He arose! Hallelujah! Christ arose!
2. Vainly they watch his bed, Jesus my Savior,
vainly they seal the dead, Jesus my Lord!
3. Death cannot keep its prey, Jesus my Savior;
he tore the bars away, Jesus my Lord!
Robert Lowry (1826-99)
Comments about this poem (Today... 'The Resurrection and The Life' by Roy Allen )
- Comfort, Alexandra Motschmann
- ISIS and Anti-terror victory, Alexandra Motschmann
- Strange Coincidence, Khairul Ahsan
- THE WRINKLED YOUNG LADY, Visato Kiso
- The Preacher's Wife, Effie Waller Smith
- The Light of Day, David Griebel
- FAIRY TALE PRINCESS, Visato Kiso
- Flowers, David Griebel
- Apple Sauce And Chicken Fried, Effie Waller Smith
- Generosity, Babatunde Aremu
Poem of the Day
- On the Pulse of Morning, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Peace. A Study, Charles Stuart Calverley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(15 April 1958)