** THE SAXOPHONE STORY!
THE SAXOPHONE STORY
Perhaps the most expressive instrument -
next to the human voice,
Was made by Adolphe Sax, a Belgian,
through a deliberate choice!
He wanted to offset the tonal disparity; -
Between the strings, wind and brass
instruments - with clarity!
He felt that the strings were overpowered
by the wind instruments,
And the winds got overblown by the brasses!
Now what would happen if the best qualities
of these three types of instruments, -
In a fusion blended, and coalesces?
So finally at the age of 20 yrs, in March 1834,
He created a magical instrument for the world
It had the power of the brass, the flexibility
of the strings, -
And the woodwind’s variety and tone,
Which got christened after Adolphe Sax, as
Adolphe’s famous composer friend Hector
Berlioz in Paris City,
Gave this new instrument wide publicity!
In 1844 the Sax was presented in the Industrial
Exhibition at Paris,
And got patented on 20Mar 1846!
Subsequently adopted by the Bands of the French
Making other instrument makers to become green
The Sax was 80 yrs old when it became part of
A small bore mouth piece was created to suite the
varying tonal qualities of ' jazzy music '!
Initially 14 different sizes of Sax was created by
Today only five types are in use for us to hear and
The Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass and the Baritone
All forming part of jazz music's backbone!
06 Aug 09
FOOT NOTES: -
Adolphe Sax(1814-1894) , son of famous musical instrument maker-
Charles Joseph Sax of Belgium.
WOODWIND Instruments = Flute & Clarinet.BRASS= Trumpet & Tuba
STRINGS = Violin, Viola etc.
SAXOPHONE TODAY HAS BECOME THE BACKBONE OF JAZZ!
** ALL COPY RIGHTS ARE RESERVED BY: - RAJ NANDY **
RAJ NANDY's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (** THE SAXOPHONE STORY! by RAJ NANDY )
- Our First Date, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Terrorist Behind Every Bush, Talile Ali
- I Love You 2, Michael McParland
- Trust None, Even Me, Sir Toby Moses
- Lema, Nassy Fesharaki
- Decaying Within, Angelica Stevenz
- WALAA, Wala' Qamhieh
- A Hardworking Wind, Terry Dawson
- have been posess, ademola oluwabusayo
- Be patient, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Conscience, Henry David Thoreau
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)