My mind is like a whale in the approaching evening
That dives into the night's sea;
Yet I hear that far-off sound
Imprisoned in the breast of this body.
The sun has wiped out the tinge of evening cloud from
the tired minaret,
No movement in the air
Not realizing that no rest until deep sleep in this black night.
Yet the tired and dejected nerve's fatigued movement
Brings the dream of hectic speed,
Perhaps storm-signal is prevalent in tired April's sky,
Perhaps millions of evil spirits encircling like night mare,
Thousands of thunders flash in the horizon of my mind.
I hear the call from the sky:
Your night of misfortune
Brightened on the free eastern horizon,
The old tree in your forest
Has now shed its worn-out bark.
That thought pervades my mind like wild fire,
April's likely thunder-cloud
Springs up in the dejected crowd's mind
The mind leaves the nights sea.
And becomes a free bird in the morning.
Away on its wings in the sky, leaves the old plundered minaret,
Leaves the sky's splendour of colour,
Leaves the border of the horizon,
Like the captive's dream-
A free mind,
It's my mind.
[Translated by Abdur Rashid Khan]
Farrukh Ahmad's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Mind by Farrukh Ahmad )
- Taking cover., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Unclothing Her, Do You Want To Photograp.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love You Mom, Harold R Hunt Sr
- what is it for, Bull Hawking
- THE WEEKEND BASH., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Not with truth, gajanan mishra
- The race, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Folk dances., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Day, Hanh Chau
- The Wild West., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Different Ways to Pray, Naomi Shihab Nye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)