No love is as overwhelming and as pristine,
As the maiden love of a lass, say of sixteen.
When, like closed petals of a bud she begins to unfold
Herself, blossoming into a fragrant rose or marigold.
She seeks a hand to hold and wants hers as well be held,
In secluded privacy, from the outside world as if shelled.
She wants to love and be loved, to touch and be touched,
Promises never to leave the hand that she fondly clutched.
Standing on the crossroads of childhood and puberty,
She seeks a soul mate, not one who is always flirty.
She feels lonely at home, even in a crowd, or among peers,
Unless with her soul mate who keeps count of her fallen tears.
Promises everything that her soul mate wants her to be,
She herself also demands promises on matters flimsy.
Not realizing that promises are easy to make but difficult to keep,
Broken promises are hard to bear with, easy to make one weep.
Sometimes the lass' love remain held back and suppressed,
When she is wary that her emotions will not be addressed.
Flames of this unexpressed love burn her in slow motion
Whenever she muses over some missed conversation.
Lucky is he who wins the first love of a lass, in solemn trust
Pity on him who misses the offer, or throws it into the dust.
When a life's journey is begun hand in hand with no suspicion,
The two unsuspecting souls will no doubt reach their destination.
Khairul Ahsan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
26 July 2013
Comments about this poem (Pristine Love by Khairul Ahsan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Crystal Consciousness, Margaret Alice Second
- Invest the present, gajanan mishra
- Free Gaff! !, Damian Murphy
- Blizzards are not snows, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- w0rk ya mAjiK - (Selah (take a moment to.., sEaN nOrTh
- At the End of the Rainbow, Reagan A. Latumbo
- yeah you got all the answers i know - an.., sEaN nOrTh
- Life-death bicycle, gajanan mishra
- Broken Not Forgotten, Melissa Furey
- 2 ReaD A LinE Or 2 - Sh# ThaT they $mOkE.., sEaN nOrTh