You Are Not A Poet
When hurt, a person cries.
When bereaved, a person wails.
When broken down, a person sobs.
When cheated in love, a person weeps.
You are not a poet, if you cannot understand,
All these cries, wails, fits of sobbing or silent weeping.
A drop of tear may look
Like a pearl when it hangs from an eye.
The beholder knows how difficult it is to hold
Or suppress a falling tear. Desperately s/he wishes
The tear to dry off before it rolls down or is seen by others.
You are not a poet, if you do not see the pain behind the pearl.
When the voice is muted, the eyes speak.
When both are lost by distance, a person writes.
When the pen stops, the piano lends voice to the
Feelings of the heart. The unspoken words are then
Narrated through the variations of the musical notes.
You are not a poet, if you cannot translate the tune.
Khairul Ahsan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
16 February 2014
Comments about this poem (You Are Not A Poet by Khairul Ahsan )
Did you read them?
- Closed, Annalee Hopkins Somerville
- Iridescent, Adriana Avila
- Arcadian, Kumarmani Mahakul
- A Hidden Angry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- irritating rash, lee fones
- Feeling Love, Sandra Feldman
- so in other words, i feel for two, Mandolyn ...
- Text time, george albot
- Deep Friendship, Sandra Feldman
- The Mighty Tumbler, Samya Bose
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)