As a stallion, prancing, strong
I held my head above the throng,
Then stooped to kiss the lips so dear
That spoke my life and future here.
I said: I do. Yes, I love you.
Forever will our hearts be true.
And lilting were those words from you
Responding to me: Yes, I do.
The shadows lengthen o'er our home.
I'm absent; ask me why I roam.
Why I give you so much space?
Why seek I more peaceful place?
The lilting notes once in your voice
Are clashing cymbals now by choice.
The music that I once perceived
Disguised it was; I was deceived.
The children that you bore to me
You castigate to the n'th degree.
Now crass the words spew from your tongue
And harsh the sound your morning song.
No glorious future left to me.
Thunderous clouds is all I see;
Absence my only refuge now.
Retrieve that long lost day? O how?
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (.Guyana Voices by Adeline Foster )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- "Mike Teavee...", Roald Dahl
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Made Electric By The Moon, Is It Poetry
- It's all in your head, Yisel Chong
- Every Breath Of Life, Spiritwind Wood
- Forever in my heart..., Yisel Chong
- C o r t e g e...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- A Spirit Within, Spiritwind Wood
- Love, Carolyn Blackmon
- The Staff at Flagstaff Hospital, Kathryn Tyler King
- Dry Your Sorrows And Tears, Spiritwind Wood
- My Venus, Sandra Lynn