As a stallion, prancing, strong
I held my head above the throng,
Then stooped to kiss the lips so dear
That spoke my life and future here.
I said: I do. Yes, I love you.
Forever will our hearts be true.
And lilting were those words from you
Responding to me: Yes, I do.
The shadows lengthen o'er our home.
I'm absent; ask me why I roam.
Why I give you so much space?
Why seek I more peaceful place?
The lilting notes once in your voice
Are clashing cymbals now by choice.
The music that I once perceived
Disguised it was; I was deceived.
The children that you bore to me
You castigate to the n'th degree.
Now crass the words spew from your tongue
And harsh the sound your morning song.
No glorious future left to me.
Thunderous clouds is all I see;
Absence my only refuge now.
Retrieve that long lost day? O how?
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (.Guyana Voices by Adeline Foster )
- Grace Me, Michael McParland
- 168., John Westlake
- The Stuff We Are Made Of., Tony Adah
- remembering the wedding Anniversary.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Fishing For An Appropriate Taste, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Let us not be, hasmukh amathalal
- Is Life?, Neela Nath
- Star Tree, douglas scotney
- The Road to Heaven is Only One, Dr John Celes
- Capable and real, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)