Driftwood at Sunset
Far abreast of distant moored-up boats
The quiescent air engulfs each lung.
You taste briny salt upon your tongue;
As without haste, nonplussed driftwood floats,
While the owl's elegy is grimly sung
And waves give resonance to her notes.
Such monotony is the sunset norm
With a warning whispered by the breeze-
The driftwood was once one of those trees
Standing, whose sap ran vivid and warm.
He, whose trunk stood against the gales with ease,
Is now reduced to decrepit form.
Hear him cry out advice you should heed
Well before you too suffer his fate.
Trust him, for your vigour will abate
As age and death will never concede.
Hence achieve your wishes and do not wait
Until you are frail and rusty-kneed.
Jack Growden's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Driftwood at Sunset by Jack Growden )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Tazkera–e-bewafa …………, shaik sahal
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- A Song Of Joys, Walt Whitman
- Fließendes Grün, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- Release yourself, Elena Ioannou
- BETCHE SAID PATIENCE, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Crazy Thing, Leah Ayliffe
- A Thought A Head, Ima Ryma
- **कधी कधी **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** सागं ना 2 **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** अबोल भावना मनातल्या **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- I am Not Alone, Sandra Feldman