Breath of fresh air
try to lift my heavy heart
it ain't working.
Wanting to let go, be free
but I can't figure it out,
how to cut the bonds
nor have the bravery to do it.
take this weight off my shoulders.
I'm too young to be chained by despair and anger.
I am to weak to stand alone,
or to stand with others.
I'm caught between a rock and a hard place,
struggling to breath.
I'm sinking under the surface,
battling to stay afloat.
For I am one alone.
I may find someone out there
who can break my shell
and free me from my chains.
I stand on a high mountain,
my arms trembling,
my knees weak
a rock perched in my hands
threatening to crush me
and I abide
hoping someone will come
before it comes crashing down on me.
E.M McCarry's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Chains by E.M McCarry )
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
- Someday, Ryan Telebwe
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)