Breath of fresh air
try to lift my heavy heart
it ain't working.
Wanting to let go, be free
but I can't figure it out,
how to cut the bonds
nor have the bravery to do it.
take this weight off my shoulders.
I'm too young to be chained by despair and anger.
I am to weak to stand alone,
or to stand with others.
I'm caught between a rock and a hard place,
struggling to breath.
I'm sinking under the surface,
battling to stay afloat.
For I am one alone.
I may find someone out there
who can break my shell
and free me from my chains.
I stand on a high mountain,
my arms trembling,
my knees weak
a rock perched in my hands
threatening to crush me
and I abide
hoping someone will come
before it comes crashing down on me.
E.M McCarry's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Chains by E.M McCarry )
- Decree's, Cee Bea
- A letter to a soldier., Harold R Hunt Sr
- 11 Days Before Christmas, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Who Are These Killers, Harold R Hunt Sr
- When I, Harold R Hunt Sr
- That night mother had no egg, Mark Heathcote
- Under my microscope's scrutiny تحت تمحيص.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Misunderstanding of Christmas., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Nothing Wrong., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I Walk Not Alone, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)