Art of Poetry.......The
Many teachers are destroying poetry.
We are losing what was once an art.
It is not just prose cut into lines;
But a form of writing quite apart.
They encourage their pupils to spill out words,
Without rhythm and without form,
Lacking meter or any structure;
So only chaos is now the norm.
They have even persuaded compilers
Of dictionaries to define as a word
Prose-poetry: an oxymoron.
Such nonsense can now be heard.
Perhaps a symptom of modern society,
In which anything will do.
Do you wish to write prose or poetry?
The choice, my dears, is up to you.
Irene ClarkHogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Art of Poetry.......The by Irene ClarkHogg )
- IN both terms, hasmukh amathalal
- Before The Bullets, Alfred Barna
- Besame (Translation Of Kiss Me), Adriana Avila
- Well behaved, hasmukh amathalal
- Never Far From You, Wani Rahil
- Cloak of Autumn, Jacqueline Nash
- In the Desert of Iraq, Donal Mahoney
- Tagged, GRANT FRASER
- Hurricane Julie, Jeffrey Smith
- winter's advice, teresa sellers
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- O Tell Me The Truth About Love, WH Auden
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No More Clichés, Octavio Paz
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)