Art of Poetry.......The
Many teachers are destroying poetry.
We are losing what was once an art.
It is not just prose cut into lines;
But a form of writing quite apart.
They encourage their pupils to spill out words,
Without rhythm and without form,
Lacking meter or any structure;
So only chaos is now the norm.
They have even persuaded compilers
Of dictionaries to define as a word
Prose-poetry: an oxymoron.
Such nonsense can now be heard.
Perhaps a symptom of modern society,
In which anything will do.
Do you wish to write prose or poetry?
The choice, my dears, is up to you.
Irene ClarkHogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Art of Poetry.......The by Irene ClarkHogg )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Poem of the Day
- The Loss That Has Cost The People, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Christmas Glow, Cigeng Zhang
- The Watchers, Aaryan Deshpande
- Not necessarily, hasmukh amathalal
- I embrace my pen, gajanan mishra
- Loveless Love, Paul Hartal
- But vicinty, hasmukh amathalal
- Past Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Still Small Voice, Leong Ming Loong
- Gap and divide, hasmukh amathalal