Art of Poetry.......The
Many teachers are destroying poetry.
We are losing what was once an art.
It is not just prose cut into lines;
But a form of writing quite apart.
They encourage their pupils to spill out words,
Without rhythm and without form,
Lacking meter or any structure;
So only chaos is now the norm.
They have even persuaded compilers
Of dictionaries to define as a word
Prose-poetry: an oxymoron.
Such nonsense can now be heard.
Perhaps a symptom of modern society,
In which anything will do.
Do you wish to write prose or poetry?
The choice, my dears, is up to you.
Irene ClarkHogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Art of Poetry.......The by Irene ClarkHogg )
- Last Act of Penance, Andy Caldwell
- Look At This City, Lenny Orlando Camacho
- (1) I Accept for Now, She Doesn't Love Me, Uriah Hamilton
- Versatility is a unique quality!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Paper slip, hasmukh amathalal
- SHADES OF LOVE, sherif monem
- A Shoulder to Weep, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Help me I am here, Dustin Hardin
- Into your kingdom, hasmukh amathalal
- High rise, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)