Art of Poetry.......The
Many teachers are destroying poetry.
We are losing what was once an art.
It is not just prose cut into lines;
But a form of writing quite apart.
They encourage their pupils to spill out words,
Without rhythm and without form,
Lacking meter or any structure;
So only chaos is now the norm.
They have even persuaded compilers
Of dictionaries to define as a word
Prose-poetry: an oxymoron.
Such nonsense can now be heard.
Perhaps a symptom of modern society,
In which anything will do.
Do you wish to write prose or poetry?
The choice, my dears, is up to you.
Irene ClarkHogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Art of Poetry.......The by Irene ClarkHogg )
- Hurricane, Ahmed Tawfik
- Mirrors, Arno Le Roux
- The words we leave unsaid, Chris Zachariou
- Called To The Place Of Dry, Arno Le Roux
- Futurism Today, Peter Jay Shippy
- Soul, Peter Jay Shippy
- Shadow of Death, Tosin Abegunde
- Graceful ghost rag, Peter Jay Shippy
- The State-Progress Of Ill, Lord Edward Herbert of Cherb ..
- On the perilous effects of buried alien .., Peter Jay Shippy
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(20 October 1854 – 10 November 1891)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)