Nine Ages of Woman
Some say that three score years and ten
Count the life time of a man;
But I can beat him, I’m a woman.
I’ll reach one hundred if I can.
First I was an infant,
Screaming defiance from my bed,
Then my childhood, age of innocence,
Exploring life wherever it lead.
Throughout my youth I danced and sang
For music was my life,
But I gave up my freedom
When I became a wife.
Motherhood, a lifetime commitment,
I adored my beautiful boys.
At forty I threw out the tyrant,
And began playing with new toys.
I had lovers, not very many.
For none could claim my heart
Until at sixty I met my soul-mate,
And we swore we would never part.
Nine years of bliss, sweet happiness.
My handsome prince, and I his bride;
But fate stepped in, his sword aloft,
And tore him from my side.
Then came a time of tears and mourning,
I felt I could not survive;
But two loving men held me afloat.
My sons kept me alive.
Now I journey into the future.
To face it I must be bold,
Embracing the ninth age of woman,
And whatever it may hold.
Irene ClarkHogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nine Ages of Woman by Irene ClarkHogg )
- Elegy Number Six, Nouri al Jarrah
- Elegy Number Three, Nouri al Jarrah
- looking, llinda bevan
- Elegy Number Two, Nouri al Jarrah
- Elegy Number One, Nouri al Jarrah
- Economic Rugs., Bieze Josephat
- Mama et Papa, Sentamu Aziz
- Roses, Kwai Chee Low
- The Crownless King, Sentamu Aziz
- My Windy Friend, Kwai Chee Low
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Not Waving but Drowning, Stevie Smith
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Tarantella, Hilaire Belloc
- First Day at School, Roger McGough
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)