Nine Ages of Woman
Some say that three score years and ten
Count the life time of a man;
But I can beat him, I’m a woman.
I’ll reach one hundred if I can.
First I was an infant,
Screaming defiance from my bed,
Then my childhood, age of innocence,
Exploring life wherever it lead.
Throughout my youth I danced and sang
For music was my life,
But I gave up my freedom
When I became a wife.
Motherhood, a lifetime commitment,
I adored my beautiful boys.
At forty I threw out the tyrant,
And began playing with new toys.
I had lovers, not very many.
For none could claim my heart
Until at sixty I met my soul-mate,
And we swore we would never part.
Nine years of bliss, sweet happiness.
My handsome prince, and I his bride;
But fate stepped in, his sword aloft,
And tore him from my side.
Then came a time of tears and mourning,
I felt I could not survive;
But two loving men held me afloat.
My sons kept me alive.
Now I journey into the future.
To face it I must be bold,
Embracing the ninth age of woman,
And whatever it may hold.
Irene ClarkHogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nine Ages of Woman by Irene ClarkHogg )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Silent Noon, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Lime-trees, Dr John Celes
- South Bronx, Robert Ronnow
- The Slow Dimension, Sare Sayidi
- Polar Bear Mugs Wino, Robert Ronnow
- Destiny! ! !, Amitava Sur
- Valentino's Victory Lap, Charles Hancock
- A Best friend to someone like me, Yselle Lucas
- Is it stress, Robert Ronnow
- Communicating the Bird, Robert Ronnow
- Chinese Sonnets, Robert Ronnow