Nine Ages of Woman
Some say that three score years and ten
Count the life time of a man;
But I can beat him, I’m a woman.
I’ll reach one hundred if I can.
First I was an infant,
Screaming defiance from my bed,
Then my childhood, age of innocence,
Exploring life wherever it lead.
Throughout my youth I danced and sang
For music was my life,
But I gave up my freedom
When I became a wife.
Motherhood, a lifetime commitment,
I adored my beautiful boys.
At forty I threw out the tyrant,
And began playing with new toys.
I had lovers, not very many.
For none could claim my heart
Until at sixty I met my soul-mate,
And we swore we would never part.
Nine years of bliss, sweet happiness.
My handsome prince, and I his bride;
But fate stepped in, his sword aloft,
And tore him from my side.
Then came a time of tears and mourning,
I felt I could not survive;
But two loving men held me afloat.
My sons kept me alive.
Now I journey into the future.
To face it I must be bold,
Embracing the ninth age of woman,
And whatever it may hold.
Irene ClarkHogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nine Ages of Woman by Irene ClarkHogg )
- Fabulous rich, hasmukh amathalal
- Always, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- The condition again, hasmukh amathalal
- Oatmeal Omelet, Von Kimball Barney
- The condition, hasmukh amathalal
- Reason, Elia Michael
- Autumn Again But, Nassy Fesharaki
- He Was Leaving, Neela Nath
- Symphony, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- The hunter's trap - By POET Yaser Nadeem.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)