Bijay Kant Dubey
An Assessment of Indian English Poetry
After so much so nagging and bragging,
We are reading it, going to make up our minds
As for to read the poetry written in English
By the Indians
Otherwise we would not have
And they too would not have.
If to go in deep, to mark the trend and tradition,
Indian English poetry is a study
In minor voices and slender anthologies,
Poor and weak verdes,
Not up to mark at all.
Indian English poetry lacks in classical scholarship
And has fallen into mediocre hands,
God knows, who to bail out of crisis,
This is the reason for which it remained
As for substandard, derivative and imitative stuffs,
We never liked to read in the classroom
Be they Toru, Aurobindo, Tagore, Sarojini,
Nissim, Gieve, Parthasarathy or Kamala.
Aurobindo fails to fuse in two myths
And the langugae seems to be of other climes,
Too much Latinized and imitatvely Miltonic,
A hybrid presentation.
Tagore is devotional in Gitanjali
But such a thing is our household stuff,
May be new for the West
But not for us
And one book in prosaic verse not enough.
Standard and scholarship can be seen missing
In Indian English poetry
And hence the classic-read professors
Were dismissive of it.
English poetry must sound English rather than Indian,
Something of that kind, that stature
Which is even not in Ezekiel and his managing teams
Though praise we in the absence of poets.
Bijay Kant Dubey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Assessment of Indian English Poetry by Bijay Kant Dubey )
Did you read them?
- To be not jealous…, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Crime, Neela Nath
- A Childhood Game, Heather Burns
- Promise, Chandan Ray
- Why does the old one suffer?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- The Hymn of Mercy - 17, ramesh rai
- Each Drop of Anger, a Bread Crumb to Hea.., Mr. Nobody
- फुं सोरां बिलियाव, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Daughter of the Earth - 42, gajanan mishra
- I Always Looked Upon Them With Pity And .., Shalom Freedman
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)