Bijay Kant Dubey
An Assessment of Indian English Poetry
After so much so nagging and bragging,
We are reading it, going to make up our minds
As for to read the poetry written in English
By the Indians
Otherwise we would not have
And they too would not have.
If to go in deep, to mark the trend and tradition,
Indian English poetry is a study
In minor voices and slender anthologies,
Poor and weak verdes,
Not up to mark at all.
Indian English poetry lacks in classical scholarship
And has fallen into mediocre hands,
God knows, who to bail out of crisis,
This is the reason for which it remained
As for substandard, derivative and imitative stuffs,
We never liked to read in the classroom
Be they Toru, Aurobindo, Tagore, Sarojini,
Nissim, Gieve, Parthasarathy or Kamala.
Aurobindo fails to fuse in two myths
And the langugae seems to be of other climes,
Too much Latinized and imitatvely Miltonic,
A hybrid presentation.
Tagore is devotional in Gitanjali
But such a thing is our household stuff,
May be new for the West
But not for us
And one book in prosaic verse not enough.
Standard and scholarship can be seen missing
In Indian English poetry
And hence the classic-read professors
Were dismissive of it.
English poetry must sound English rather than Indian,
Something of that kind, that stature
Which is even not in Ezekiel and his managing teams
Though praise we in the absence of poets.
Bijay Kant Dubey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Assessment of Indian English Poetry by Bijay Kant Dubey )
Did you read them?
- The Chance, Michael McParland
- Going Home, Douglas McClarty
- I AM THE DRAGON, Philo Yan
- Let us welcome, hasmukh amathalal
- First In My Life, Latha Krishnan
- Cheenti ki maut (Hindi) चींटी की मौत, S.D. TIWARI
- Even If You're Not A Poet, Call You That.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Truly Love you, Michael McParland
- The Third Person, Latha Krishnan
- This Body And This Mind, Neela Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)