Chris G. Vaillancourt
After Dinner We Remembered
We ate the dinner I prepared.
Strong coffee followed.
Relaxing in the living room.
Talking about this and that and other things.
We had a memory or two that sustained us
in our conversations.
Our talking covered a variety of topics
rambled on happily in our remembering.
Was it really over twenty years ago
that we were high school students?
This was our link, our bond, our
sense of who we were and who we are.
What I remembered you remembered.
What I believed, so did you.
We shared our views on history
as if our words were golden idols
which we could worship at our pleasure.
The only topics we skirted were those
that dealt with who we are now.
Avoiding comparisons with our ambitions,
we compared only those events that
had happened a long time ago.
Abstract meanderings on people we knew
and places we had wandered to.
We followed our coffee with dessert.
A pleasant tasting cake which
you had baked and brought to our reunion.
I wonder what flavour of ice cream
would be most appropriate
with a cake that was filled
Chris G. Vaillancourt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (After Dinner We Remembered by Chris G. Vaillancourt )
- Out There, Fatima Nusairat
- Immortal world, gajanan mishra
- Soulful smile, ramesh rai
- Perfection, Donnie Wolff
- Defiled, gajanan mishra
- Be It Trivial And Mundane, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Every creature, gajanan mishra
- How Juice From Fruit Is Produced, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Once Indifference Is Shown, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- empty without you, Liss March
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns