Chris G. Vaillancourt
After Dinner We Remembered
We ate the dinner I prepared.
Strong coffee followed.
Relaxing in the living room.
Talking about this and that and other things.
We had a memory or two that sustained us
in our conversations.
Our talking covered a variety of topics
rambled on happily in our remembering.
Was it really over twenty years ago
that we were high school students?
This was our link, our bond, our
sense of who we were and who we are.
What I remembered you remembered.
What I believed, so did you.
We shared our views on history
as if our words were golden idols
which we could worship at our pleasure.
The only topics we skirted were those
that dealt with who we are now.
Avoiding comparisons with our ambitions,
we compared only those events that
had happened a long time ago.
Abstract meanderings on people we knew
and places we had wandered to.
We followed our coffee with dessert.
A pleasant tasting cake which
you had baked and brought to our reunion.
I wonder what flavour of ice cream
would be most appropriate
with a cake that was filled
Chris G. Vaillancourt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (After Dinner We Remembered by Chris G. Vaillancourt )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- A Real Friend, Margaret Moran
- you're a vessel i want live on twelve mo.., Mandolyn ...
- Riff on Bruce's Post Card Love Affairs, David McLansky
- Eternal Thirst, Lora Colon
- When I look at you, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Formalities Not Necessary, Margaret Moran
- two women, Nassy Fesharaki
- I have seen everywhere, gajanan mishra
- joe dassin, co the skipper
- Of Course, Sonya Annita Song