Chris G. Vaillancourt
After Dinner We Remembered
We ate the dinner I prepared.
Strong coffee followed.
Relaxing in the living room.
Talking about this and that and other things.
We had a memory or two that sustained us
in our conversations.
Our talking covered a variety of topics
rambled on happily in our remembering.
Was it really over twenty years ago
that we were high school students?
This was our link, our bond, our
sense of who we were and who we are.
What I remembered you remembered.
What I believed, so did you.
We shared our views on history
as if our words were golden idols
which we could worship at our pleasure.
The only topics we skirted were those
that dealt with who we are now.
Avoiding comparisons with our ambitions,
we compared only those events that
had happened a long time ago.
Abstract meanderings on people we knew
and places we had wandered to.
We followed our coffee with dessert.
A pleasant tasting cake which
you had baked and brought to our reunion.
I wonder what flavour of ice cream
would be most appropriate
with a cake that was filled
Chris G. Vaillancourt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (After Dinner We Remembered by Chris G. Vaillancourt )
- Going to persons who don't have generous.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- AM I A MOUTHPIECE?, M.D Dinesh Nair
- The Moon, Phil Soar
- They Got Tired لقد تعبوا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The first time, Cigeng Zhang
- THEY GOT TIRED, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- MY WAYطريقي, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Genes, jeans!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ticking Over, Yvonne Rautenbach
- In A Confused World, Edward Kofi Louis