Chris G. Vaillancourt
In August the grass discovered it could grow all by itself.
It could stretch its green almost to the sky.
The grass-cutter was being removed, it was free!
He was not going to live in the house anymore.
No more shaving cream in the bathroom.
No more man smells to ruin the atmosphere.
The house was free. Alleluia! Alleluia!
He was packing his clothes, his books, his life.
He was wrapping his past into green garbage bags.
Packing his clothes into duffle bags and suitcases.
Even as he removed his presence from the house,
he was reminded of how insignificant he had become.
Words flew at him like fireflies in the dark.
The woman was free. Alleluia! Alleluia!
Tears were not an option, he had been trained otherwise.
Face stoic, set in firm stone of absolute determination.
The end was the end, or perhaps a beginning?
Slipping his bags into the car, starting the engine.
One last look at the house he had worked to have.
One last sigh as he hit the pedal and drove away.
The man was not coming back. Alleluia! Alleluia!
He wondered who would cut the grass now?
Chris G. Vaillancourt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alleluia! Alleluia! by Chris G. Vaillancourt )
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
William Cullen Bryant
(November 3, 1794 – June 12, 1878)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(10 February 1970-)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Kupamanduka, Gopalakrishna Adiga
- An Africa Thunderstorm, David Rubadiri
- A Moment Of Happiness, Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The Lifelong Comrades, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- LAST TIME, Terry Collett
- Another Toll By Death, Tony Adah
- I have always thought about life, Sumita Jetley
- I MISS YOU DAD, Sharen Suren
- Roses Red, Coral, Blue, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- A Night Thought, Luo Zhihai
- B day, hasmukh amathalal
- Nothing worth to be Found Right, Meriam Joseph
- Mr. right, hasmukh amathalal