Chris G. Vaillancourt
In August the grass discovered it could grow all by itself.
It could stretch its green almost to the sky.
The grass-cutter was being removed, it was free!
He was not going to live in the house anymore.
No more shaving cream in the bathroom.
No more man smells to ruin the atmosphere.
The house was free. Alleluia! Alleluia!
He was packing his clothes, his books, his life.
He was wrapping his past into green garbage bags.
Packing his clothes into duffle bags and suitcases.
Even as he removed his presence from the house,
he was reminded of how insignificant he had become.
Words flew at him like fireflies in the dark.
The woman was free. Alleluia! Alleluia!
Tears were not an option, he had been trained otherwise.
Face stoic, set in firm stone of absolute determination.
The end was the end, or perhaps a beginning?
Slipping his bags into the car, starting the engine.
One last look at the house he had worked to have.
One last sigh as he hit the pedal and drove away.
The man was not coming back. Alleluia! Alleluia!
He wondered who would cut the grass now?
Topic(s): love hurts
Chris G. Vaillancourt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alleluia! Alleluia! by Chris G. Vaillancourt )
- "...away without leave", Jeff Gangwer
- If, Harold R Hunt Sr
- My heart was in an accident, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Grandma's rocker, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The stairway, Harold R Hunt Sr
- knock knock, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Teacher Teacher, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Forget Alzheimer's, S. I. Rednow
- I cant tell you I love you, Trong Phan
- Where frozen ember still burn, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)