A pillar of the community?
Three hundred and twenty years in the making.
Lovers have met
Battles been fought, won and lost
And the afternoon heat
Has been endured here.
The King of the castle triumphed-
And was duly deposed here
Armies seen off
An enemy base
A home sanctuary.
Rendezvous, spaceship and monkey bars
Oh, and cuckoos have been heard here.
Countless hands, feet and tired posteriors have left their mark.
And it has left a mark in my heart, here.
The old tree trunk in the park.
Martin O'Neill's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A pillar of the community? by Martin O'Neill )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Love Is Hard, Is It Poetry
- Broken Waves, Pintu Mahakul
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila
- The Main Ingredient, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Missing From Action, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 12 Poems (English) from the Poetry Hat, sheena blackhall
- Owl & Handbag, sheena blackhall
- Lighthouse, sheena blackhall
- Human Touch, Mark R Slaughter