A Night In Winter
Dripping drops of diamond dews
Ice-cold beads encompassing numerous hues
Swirling down the peacock-green leaves
And get disappeared on the bed of sheaves.
Dew drenched path bear fine imprints
Of scurrilous insects in their nocturnal stints
Cool are the Moon, the trees, and the huts in the dark
Coolest of all is the place where I work.
The cool breeze brings the weirdest of tales
As an eerie silence reigns over undulating vales
Hoots of an owl or the ruffling of feathers
Down into the spine they send the shivers.
Sliding down to the west, on the slate
Of an opaque sky the panoply of teeming stars
Will hide and rest on the lap of the earth
Followed with its cohorts by the exuberant Mars;
In the roof-tops, foliages and stacks of hays
The witches move hunting for preys
The priest with candles and a silver platter
Mutter prayers sprinkling the Holy-water.
Warming itself by the cindering fire
The cat dozes off with half closed eyes
It gives a shake to its languid tail
To get rid of the bothering flies;
For the white beam, it won’t be late
To spread across the sky through Heaven’s gate.
For afar a mellifluous tune can be heard
Perhaps to its beloved is calling a bird.
Clouds of colours flit across the firms
As the birds dive for supple worms.
At the sign of night’s surreptitious descend
Village girls gather at the river band.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Night In Winter by Tiku akp )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Dream Variations, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- ALL MY DAYS, Colin Ian Jeffery
- Siclliano, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Goodnight Kiss 3, Michael P. McParland
- Mona Lisa, The Enigmatic Masterpiece, Rajesh Thankappan
- A Dream Of Death, Luo Zhihai
- Why Life?, Sandra Feldman
- Adrenaline, Raihana Abdul Jabbar
- What was this feeling?, Sergio Jaime
- MERI PRAKRATI, Gunjan Panchal
- There Are So Many Things I Can Still Do, Shalom Freedman