How did it start?
How does it end?
No one can tell you that, my friend.
We take life for granted
and move right along,
Happy, content and singing a song.
Then pow! Something hits you
on top of your head.
“Where did it come from? ”
That’s what is said.
Here comes the lesson that opens your eyes.
It surfaces quickly to your surprise.
You become aware of how life works.
It wakes you up and shakes you up.
Prayers take over and fill your cup.
You either succumb or rise to the occasion.
You face it squarely or try evasion
and pretend you’re already dead.
But finality is not what you have in mind.
So strength comes in and soon you find
your faith appears and just takes over
and in the field you’re the 4-leaf clover,
the extra petal that all search for.
It helps you survive and to explore
all things available to help you through.
You become the person that’s really you.
Edwina Reizer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Lesson by Edwina Reizer )
- Let's Live in Peace, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- I Dry My Tears, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Valley of an autumn's night, Raluca Mitra
- The stars that touch a rose is the star.., Raymond Sawyer
- *Halloween Stroll, Alice Vedral Rivera
- चाँद रात में सैर, Rajnish Manga
- Oil In White Robe, Okoemu Barnabas
- I Could Have Loved You, Sandra Feldman
- I Don't Feel Like A Poet Today, Buxton Shippy
- A weirdo, Amgad Samy
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Wait, Galway Kinnell
(1 February 1927)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)