A Frightening Dream
A huge python crawls in dream again
Massive shadowy figure of long grey serpent
Moves with tremendous force in cold obscurity
From mythological memory I recall of Vasuki*
Shiva's faithful companion,
A garland of grace and beauty
Wrapped around his blue neck so gingerly.
Tonight he wasn't there
As an accomplice of ocean churning
For seekers of immortality
Tonight he was an ordained employee of death
In cold blooded merciless cruelty destroying,
Devouring all what was built with love and care.
Walls and bricks fall all around
Dust and smoke blind the vision
Choking me out of my breath
I stood there in darkness shaking and trembling
Oh! How I wished to save just a little nook.
A silent prayer, a wishful thinking
Echoed in fearful heart
Hope of a tiny dwelling to be spared
Amid the fallen debris of rocks and iron
His coils and fang will have mercy
For a little room where the most delicate
The most helpless of all
A little innocent life lies
Blissfully unaware of lurking danger.
Just then I break away from sleep
All apprehension of that fateful event stops
A sense of relief takes over
Akin to when an earthquake shakes every thing
But in a next moment of afferent sensation
When the earth becomes still
One feels himself alive again.
Fear grips my heart
A wakeful consciousness
Entwined with truth and illusion
Haunted by the vivid memory
Of a terrifying, wretched moment
Struggles to regain and recompose.
For now all is calm in dark night
In quiet submission whatever was spared
Stirs back to life again
Cobra wraps in his coils whoever
Or what so ever it wishes to wring
And leaves the rest unscathed.
Savita Tyagi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Frightening Dream by Savita Tyagi )
Did you read them?
- The Power Of Love!, Edward Kofi Louis
- It Is Quite Sad (Part 2), Ronell Warren Alman
- Bubble burst no home no trust, Nalini Chaturvedi
- You Are, Edward Kofi Louis
- Missing sky, gajanan mishra
- PARTNERS IN CRIME, Terry Collett
- Palace of death - this body, gajanan mishra
- Twelve Step Heaven, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Hardcastle Crags, Sylvia Plath
- Burning The Letters, Sylvia Plath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Power Of Music, Sukumar Ray
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe