John Wesley (28 June 1703 - 2 March 1791 / Epworth, England)
John Wesley was a Church of England cleric and Christian theologian. Wesley is largely credited, along with his brother Charles Wesley, as founding the Methodist movement which began when he took to open-air preaching in a similar manner to George Whitefield. In contrast to George Whitefield's Calvinism, Wesley embraced the Arminian doctrines that were dominant in the 18th-century Church of England. Methodism in both forms was a highly successful evangelical movement in the United Kingdom, which encouraged people to experience Jesus Christ personally.
Wesley's teachings, known as Wesleyanism, provided the seeds for both the modern Methodist movement, the Holiness movement, ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Hymn I: O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
- Hymn II: Come, Sinners, to the Gospel Fe...
- Hymn III: All That Pass By, to Jesus Dra...
- Hymn IV: Ho! Everyone That Thirsts, Draw...
- Hymn IX: Sinners, Obey the Gospel-Word!
- Hymn V: Thy Faithfulness, Lord
- Hymn VI: Sinners, Turn, Why Will Ye Die?
- Hymn VII: Let the Beasts Their Breath Re...
- Hymn VIII: What Could Your Redeemer Do
- Hymn X: Ye Thirsty For God, to Jesus Giv...
- Hymn XI: God, the Offended God Most High
- Hymn XII: Come, Ye That Love the Lord
- Hymn XIII: Happy Soul that Free from Har...
- Hymn XIV: Happy the Man That Finds the G...
Quotationsmore quotations »
''Once in seven years I burn all my sermons; for it is a shame if I cannot write better sermons now than I did seven years ago.''John Wesley (1703-1791), British preacher, founder of Methodism. journal entry, Sept. 1, 1778. Reporting the words of "a good man."
''My ground is the Bible. Yea, I am a Bible-bigot. I follow it in all things, both great and small.''John Wesley (1703-1791), British preacher, founder of Methodism. The Journal of John Wesley, entry, June 5, 1766, ed. Nora Ratcliff (1940).
The best paperback
books of 2013
Heart of Darkness and Other Great Works by Joseph Conrad
See the Original Magazine Publication
Samuel R. Delany Has Been Named Grand Master
For 2013 By The Science Fiction And Fantasy Writers Of America
The Best Poetry Books