John Wesley (28 June 1703 - 2 March 1791 / Epworth, England)
Hymn XVI: Happy the Souls That First Believed
Happy the souls that first believed,
To Jesus and each other cleaved,
Joined by the unction from above
In mystic fellowship of love.
Meek, simple followers of the Lamb,
They lived, and spake, and thought the same;
They joyfully conspired to raise
Their ceaseless sacrifice of praise.
With grace abundantly endued,
A pure, believing multitude,
They all were of one heart and soul,
And only love inspired the whole.
O what an age of golden days!
O what a choice, peculiar race!
Washed in the Lamb's all-cleansing blood,
Anointed kings and priests to God!
Ye different sects, who all declare,
"Lo, here is Christ! " or, "Christ is here!"
Your stronger proofs divinely give,
And show me where the Christians live.
The gates of hell cannot prevail;
The church on earth can never fail;
Ah, join me to thy secret ones!
Ah, gather all thy living stones!
Scattered o'er all the earth they lie,
Till thou collect them with thine eye,
Draw by the music of thy name,
And charm into a beauteous frame.
For this the pleading Spirit groans,
And cries in all thy banished ones;
Greatest of gifts, thy love impart,
And make us of one mind and heart.
Join every soul that looks to thee
In bonds of perfect charity;
Now, Lord, the glorious fullness give,
And all in all for ever live!
Poet Other Poems
- Hymn I: O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
- Hymn II: Come, Sinners, to the Gospel Fe...
- Hymn III: All That Pass By, to Jesus Dra...
- Hymn IV: Ho! Everyone That Thirsts, Draw...
- Hymn IX: Sinners, Obey the Gospel-Word!
- Hymn V: Thy Faithfulness, Lord
- Hymn VI: Sinners, Turn, Why Will Ye Die?
- Hymn VII: Let the Beasts Their Breath Re...
- Hymn VIII: What Could Your Redeemer Do
- Hymn X: Ye Thirsty For God, to Jesus Giv...
- Hymn XI: God, the Offended God Most High
- Hymn XII: Come, Ye That Love the Lord
- Hymn XIII: Happy Soul that Free from Har...
- Hymn XIV: Happy the Man That Finds the G...
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.