Dave Birss Poems
- Poetry Reading Virgin I’ve never been to a poetry reading ...
- Happysad I'm happysad laughcrying from our goodbye-ing and...
- Supposéd Poet I’m supposed to be a poet But the words come ...
- Old Like a paperback With yellow pages And a broken ...
- 31 Things You Never Want To Us... The helmet for your motor ...
- Nodding In Disagreement When God made the pigeon There was ...
- Dream Come True Once, I used to dream of being free. Of ...
I only really started writing poetry properly about 3 years ago. It was all a misunderstanding. A friend asked me to read some of my poetry at a magazine launch evening. And I forgot to say no. So I ended up having to write enough poems to fill a 20 minute set.
And then I was bitten by the bug.
Since then I must have written over 500 poems. Sounds a lot - but most of them are very short. My shortest poem so far is 8 letters. And I still think it's a bit flabby.
I write under a couple of different identities as well as under my own name. These are:
The Gorilla Poet - mainly kid's poetry
The Guerrilla ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Dave Birss
Poetry Reading Virgin
I’ve never been to a poetry reading before
Are there candles and joss-sticks to garnish the floor?
Or would these combustible hazards, in fact,
Contravene a new European Fire Safety Act?
Do the audience sit cross-legged - all their feet bare?
Or are they in eveningwear there on a chair?
Can I swear? Can I shout? Can I jump all about?
Are there strict rules of etiquette forbidden to flout?
If I go down real well will they shout out for more
Or is there no such thing as a poetry encore?
Can I do a cover version of Hegley or Ayres?
Or is it bad taste to ...