krishnakumar chandrasekar nair
You can take him home now......
'You can take him home now', the men in white said
Speaking politely, softly and so very gently
All they wanted perhaps was to free one bed
For a case that had some little hope.......
And my father-in-law a third stage cancer patient
Had occupied it far, far too long for their comfort
And so we took him on a stretcher with new wheels
Into the lift that had brought him up; three, two, one....
Back into blinding sunlight and then to the ambulance white
But this time no siren blaring, just slow moving
One hundred and twenty miles in no damn hurry
Almost stopping at every hump, pot hole
Even as he occasionally opened his eyes
'what time of the day is it..?
Did all of you eat, have tea...? '
Incessant questions from a feverish mind
And at dusk when we arrived at the familiar gate
Famished and tired, he had turned over into his hazy world
And we back to our vigil as the crickets began to weep....
krishnakumar chandrasekar nair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (You can take him home now...... by krishnakumar chandrasekar nair )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- A Little While, Luo Zhihai
- Tomb-sweeping Day, Miss Our Grandpa and .., Luo Zhihai
- Not Tied To Limits Of Reality, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tolerancee is...., hasmukh amathalal
- Recalling Sequences, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sleep, Adam Latham
- Dead To You, Dexsta Ray
- Act Of Charity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Vengeance, Leong Ming Loong
- Syllable Of Meaning, RoseAnn V. Shawiak