What is Time?
Time is a stream of moments ethereal,
invisible, intangible, yet very familiar,
its meaning is elusive, mercurial,
Time, indeed, is most peculiar.
Though the guardian of our destiny,
it acts with gay abandon and impunity.
It knows no master, it is master of all,
without it the whole universe would fall.
Time is an inscrutable mystery,
ever unborn, ever born, ever dying,
future, present and past, ever becoming;
now you see it now you don't kind of trickery.
What makes the meaning of Time elusive?
Perhaps because its nature is relative;
it is often compared to something,
but is never that very same thing.
The same can be said of Eternity,
or the concept of Infinity,
or the 'Timelessness' of the Deity.
Best leave such things to Faith and Philosophy.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What is Time? by Isam Hussain )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Angler's Ballad, Charles Cotton
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- A Preface to My Autobiography, Valsa George
- Haiku - Life, chandra thiagarajan
- An educational song., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Not permanent, hasmukh amathalal
- UNKNOWN, Fatima Obaid
- My Fight, Rusty (Ed) Gibson
- Remembering Poem, Kyle Schlicher
- In HIm Alone, david kush
- Irony of the world., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Don't Cry, Kyle Schlicher