The Rape of the Countryside
Three thousand years I've rested here,
Looking out across the plain,
Watching over Dragon Hill,
Many changes I have seen.
There was a time when all was green
Excepting where red poppies stand,
But jaundice now afflicts the land -
The fields are full of oilseed rape.
The yellow pollen is the worst
For pollen sufferers to bear;
Enough to make your tear ducts burst!
Its sickly smell pollutes the air.
The farmers feed it nitrogen
To fertilise and quicken yield,
But NOx are formed with oxygen
And acid rain falls o'er the field.
At my age you might think I'd mellow,
But I just can't abide that YELLOW.
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Rape of the Countryside by William Messent )
- Mulk Raj Anand As I Saw Him, Knew Him, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Morning Triku II, Steve Kittell
- HURLY-BURLY هرج و مرج, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- INCINERATED, Satish Verma
- Power absolute, Murtaza Micky Yusuf
- Going to persons who don't have generous.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- AM I A MOUTHPIECE?, M.D Dinesh Nair
- The Moon, Phil Soar
- They Got Tired لقد تعبوا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The first time, Cigeng Zhang