The Hollow Kingdom
Before my eyes, there once appeared
A fallen temple in the sky
And within this temple lay the once-revered;
The godly and the sanctified.
Once a beacon for mortal eyes
With awe and reverence to behold,
It now lay crippled, guarding haunted cries
That echoed through the silent cold.
The sacred relics of ancient times
Lay scattered on the dusty floors
And I imagined them perfectly aligned
To be respected and adored.
Among the ruins, I came upon
Three thrones inlaid with purest gold
And seated on these thrones, withdrawn,
Were three stone figures: The Gods of Old.
The Gods were somber, silent creatures
Who wore a countenance of grief
And etched into their lifeless features
Were hints of pain and disbelief.
Their kingdom, now the visage of pain,
Held hollow dreams and shattered light.
They looked out over what little remained
Of their loyal servants' weary plight.
I felt with them a sudden void
That yawned open wide within my heart.
It was the grievance for this world, destroyed-
Dragged away and torn apart.
And all the pews sat empty;
The altar stood stained and bare,
As though the very faith of centuries
Had been renounced and slaughtered there.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Hollow Kingdom by Danielle Kieschnick )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1644 - 1694)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Henry David Thoreau
(12 July 1817 – 6 May 1862)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- True to life, Cee Bea
- I Want to Hear You, Jeri Martindale
- With new ink, hasmukh amathalal
- An Example of unconditional love:, Gaurav Pandey
- It's Time to Fight, Sayeed Abubakar
- Lost and Found, michael hagwood
- I Decided, Jeri Martindale
- I surrender, Zafar Iqbal
- The Greatest, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Rhyme, Akhil Arya