The Doctor's Fear
My mother was talking on the phone,
When the word ‘doctor' she said,
A shiver went through my every bone,
Scary thoughts came to my head.
The doctor I always did hate,
From when my eyes, he did dilate.
He'll give me tablets to swallow, about a ton,
With a pair of pliers me he'll greet,
And pull out my teeth one by one,
And give me bitter gourd to eat!
He'll press his stethoscope here and there,
Or horror of horrors, give me braces to wear!
Then my mother called me and I froze still,
And relaxed when she said,
"Your brother is a little bit ill,
He has a cold and a pain in the head."
Then my brother sneezed at me and being so naive,
His dreaded disease to me he gave!
I felt like crying, I wanted to wail,
To this place my bro had led me,
The doctor's clinic, the dreaded jail,
The last place I wanted to be.
Sitting in the clinic, what could I do?
My fear of the doctor had somehow come true.
Varun Sivashankar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Doctor's Fear by Varun Sivashankar )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Watch Super Bowl 2015 Live Stream Online.., Renz Barns
- everything i ever wrote sort of had your.., Mandolyn ...
- Missing, Luo Zhihai
- THE FIRST TIME, Rosie Bourget
- [®XLIX~]Watch Super Bowl 2015 (49) Live.., Renz Barns
- Beyond Beds Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Lonely Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Happy Birthday to A Friend I'm Missing, Akhtar Jawad
- THE BREAST CANCER JOURNEY, Rosie Bourget
- Wanting To Feel, RoseAnn V. Shawiak