The Doctor's Fear
My mother was talking on the phone,
When the word ‘doctor' she said,
A shiver went through my every bone,
Scary thoughts came to my head.
The doctor I always did hate,
From when my eyes, he did dilate.
He'll give me tablets to swallow, about a ton,
With a pair of pliers me he'll greet,
And pull out my teeth one by one,
And give me bitter gourd to eat!
He'll press his stethoscope here and there,
Or horror of horrors, give me braces to wear!
Then my mother called me and I froze still,
And relaxed when she said,
"Your brother is a little bit ill,
He has a cold and a pain in the head."
Then my brother sneezed at me and being so naive,
His dreaded disease to me he gave!
I felt like crying, I wanted to wail,
To this place my bro had led me,
The doctor's clinic, the dreaded jail,
The last place I wanted to be.
Sitting in the clinic, what could I do?
My fear of the doctor had somehow come true.
Varun Sivashankar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Doctor's Fear by Varun Sivashankar )
- It Made My Day.....(sigh), Kaila George
- Unsure About....., Kaila George
- Love, Joy, Trust & Respect, Tom Zart
- Change, Kaila George
- tempt, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- Sasha said, Nassy Fesharaki
- With A Lifting Of My Leg, Is It Poetry
- Doom and Gloom, Nweke Emmanuel
- I have left my home, ramesh rai
- Turnips, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The British, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(15 April 1958)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)