The Doctor's Fear
My mother was talking on the phone,
When the word ‘doctor' she said,
A shiver went through my every bone,
Scary thoughts came to my head.
The doctor I always did hate,
From when my eyes, he did dilate.
He'll give me tablets to swallow, about a ton,
With a pair of pliers me he'll greet,
And pull out my teeth one by one,
And give me bitter gourd to eat!
He'll press his stethoscope here and there,
Or horror of horrors, give me braces to wear!
Then my mother called me and I froze still,
And relaxed when she said,
"Your brother is a little bit ill,
He has a cold and a pain in the head."
Then my brother sneezed at me and being so naive,
His dreaded disease to me he gave!
I felt like crying, I wanted to wail,
To this place my bro had led me,
The doctor's clinic, the dreaded jail,
The last place I wanted to be.
Sitting in the clinic, what could I do?
My fear of the doctor had somehow come true.
Varun Sivashankar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Doctor's Fear by Varun Sivashankar )
- What's the half truth of half world, Aftab Alam
- A Polar Star to Show Your Way, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Walking Is a Way of Life, Frank Avon
- Sirpent, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- And then there were none, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- The Upstairs Witch, David Lewis Paget
- Breeze of love, SALINI NAIR
- Mt. Eden, Frank Avon
- I am in love with you, ambitious blessing
- Figurines, Mike Acker
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Learn to Live, Roopa Menon
- Not Waving but Drowning, Stevie Smith
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)