The Crime Is War
A possible war crime, they say gas was used
And human rights have thus been abused.
What is the point of having a law
That fails to make a crime of war?
Why do we bother about the means
They use to kill other human beings?
What difference does it make
To the poor sods whose lives they take?
All methods of killing are equally bad
The victims mothers are equally sad.
So why do we not all demand
That all forms of warfare should be banned.
That of course is very naive of me
To think that there will ever be
Peace on Earth while there are men
To find a reason to kill again.
I think perhaps the answer lies
In the grey matter behind the eyes
Of some whose craving for power
Means that their every waking hour
Is used to plot and plan and scheme
How to fulfil their life long dream.
No matter how many they kill and maim
As they have no capacity for any shame.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Crime Is War by Tom Higgins )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Flower of Liberty, Oliver Wendell Holmes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- First Day at School, Roger McGough
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- innocence, abdirahman haaji rilwaan
- MOST LIVING PEOPLE, Michael P. Johnson
- Beautiful rose, Andytics mufc
- How Not to Play War, Ima Ryma
- We are here to sing, gajanan mishra
- The Girls And Their Peep Hole, Is It Poetry
- Goodbye dream, Marilyn Jean
- '' You're No Better Than Us '', bri mar
- Becoming Part Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Nineteen Years Since Your Passing, Jonathan Goldman a.k.a JGthe ..