The Elephant In The Room
The ministers are meeting to discuss affairs of state,
And seated round the table they will all agree.
On how to wield the power to influence the fate
Of many millions, the likes of you and me.
And standing in the shadows at the far end of the room
The elephant stays un-noticed by them all.
It has always been present as it waits in the gloom
For the day they will invite it to the ball.
It grows bigger day by day as it waits there all alone
Just for once to hear it mentioned by its name.
It’s as if they are all too frightened to enter into the zone,
And the world over it seems to be the same.
Everywhere the ministers are meeting to discuss
The things they need to do to maintain their power.
Whilst hidden in the shadows and coming into must,
The elephants are getting more restless by the hour.
The elephants names are “Poverty, ” “Hunger ”, and “War”
World politics will keep ignoring them no doubt,
Until they bring on “Armageddon” to even up the score
Then perhaps they’ll give the pachyderms a shout.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Elephant In The Room by Tom Higgins )
- The Moon And Me, Mallika Achuthan Menon
- The Mighty Tower, Enoch Owusu Gyamfi
- When will I be Free?, nic berja
- Spreading, Aparna Chatterjee
- To The Milking Gone, Julian Mann
- No Regrets, Nancy Cullen
- Dark Days, micheal john
- Out Of Philosophy, Edward Kofi Louis
- Mind of a man, kedar thapa
- রাজা ভাবতে বসেছে, Ashraful Alam Shikder
Poem of the Day
- Palm Tree, Rabindranath Tagore
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- All You Who Sleep Tonight, Vikram Seth
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)