The Elephant In The Room
The ministers are meeting to discuss affairs of state,
And seated round the table they will all agree.
On how to wield the power to influence the fate
Of many millions, the likes of you and me.
And standing in the shadows at the far end of the room
The elephant stays un-noticed by them all.
It has always been present as it waits in the gloom
For the day they will invite it to the ball.
It grows bigger day by day as it waits there all alone
Just for once to hear it mentioned by its name.
It’s as if they are all too frightened to enter into the zone,
And the world over it seems to be the same.
Everywhere the ministers are meeting to discuss
The things they need to do to maintain their power.
Whilst hidden in the shadows and coming into must,
The elephants are getting more restless by the hour.
The elephants names are “Poverty, ” “Hunger ”, and “War”
World politics will keep ignoring them no doubt,
Until they bring on “Armageddon” to even up the score
Then perhaps they’ll give the pachyderms a shout.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Elephant In The Room by Tom Higgins )
- From Creation To Extravagance, Naveed Akram
- Everlasting, Michael McParland
- Lonely Only, Sunny Chopra
- When it comes to money, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Psalm V, George Herbert
- Open well., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A Halloween Meant For Fun, Katherine Nordhaus
- Siberian Tiger, Denis Martindale
- Hanae, Marites C. Cayetano
- Adagio, Elizabeth Shield
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)