Oh Freedom! My temptress;
I forbid you to:
Elude me, when I try to grasp you;
Delude me, when I try to pin you,
Do you belong to me?
Being free, alas! Never can be,
What do the enlightened ones say to society?
Oh freedom of speech, some tried thee,
Landed up behind bars,
A potential threat to humanity.
And freedom of expression, some tried thee too,
Throw a shoe at the president? Audacious it is so,
Freedom to education, a little girl did try,
What did happen, no one could deny,
Oh Freedom to live with dignity!
Rape and murder is like a felicity.
Oh freedom, my temptress,
Do not tempt me more,
Could I ever possess you?
I'm not within a hallowed core.
In vain I implore and beseech thee,
My freedom, can I ever be free?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Temptress by Shruti Goswami )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- i am accused of tending to the past, Lucille Clifton
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Scales falling, Angell Afinowi
- About the Armadillo, Angell Afinowi
- Leprosy at the birthday Party, Angell Afinowi
- The Journey, Alvin Mingle
- Darling, Anthony Di'anno
- Bright Shades of Life, Rohit Sapra
- Tolstoy's Lament, Bill Lindsay
- The valley of Utah, Rekha Mandagere
- A House I call my Home, Reagan A. Latumbo
- I Do No Know, Tony Adah