Thoughts of a Single Man
When the night still hovers on the edge of the coming dawn
I heard you whisper my name.
I watched you in your slumber
as the darkness began to ebb like the fading tide
in the presence of the new born day.
Slivers of sunlight
slipped through the window this morning
gently caressing our face as you slept.
It gave you a glow
that could only have been reserved for angels.
I brushed my hand against your cheek
and your eyes fluttered,
just for a moment,
like a butterfly in humble flight,
and you looked at me and smiled.
It was at that instant that I realized
just how lucky I was just to be alive
and laying there next to you.
My heart beat just a little faster,
in those precious moments thereafter,
as I danced freely in the rapture
of loves tender touch.
I love you so much.
I almost began to weep in my joy,
just a passing moment
shared between a girl and a boy,
as I secured the blanket wrapped around you
making sure you were still warm.
There in the quiet shatter of the breaking dawn
as watched you float away
on the currents of a waking dream,
I kissed you upon your resting cheek,
leaving the mark of my unending affection
adorned on your silken skin,
as I laid my head down on the pillow beside you
and you drifted off to sleep..
Thoughts of a Single Man's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Sunrise by Thoughts of a Single Man )
- Decree's, Cee Bea
- A letter to a soldier., Harold R Hunt Sr
- 11 Days Before Christmas, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Who Are These Killers, Harold R Hunt Sr
- When I, Harold R Hunt Sr
- That night mother had no egg, Mark Heathcote
- Under my microscope's scrutiny تحت تمحيص.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Misunderstanding of Christmas., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Nothing Wrong., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I Walk Not Alone, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)