Sometimes life is but a time
Sometimes life is but a time between events
that leads up to another place and time in space
and sometimes it feels as if time is running out
and the hourglass and the mirror betrays you
while youth is a runaway train
and it's during these times
that I want to cling to you.
In these times I want to feel
your naked body next to mine
and make love to you
until the sun rises in the morning
and all my doubts and insecurities are gone.
In these times I want to feel your lips
melting into mine,
I want to drink from your cup
before the time of youthfulness runs out
and virility is just a thing of the past.
Sometimes I just want to sit next to you
and tell you about all my secrets,
all of my dreams and my thoughts.
In this time I want to look truthfully at you
and want to see your whole being,
your mind, spirit and body
and without holding back
I want to drown in the blue of your eyes.
Sometimes I want you
to call out my name
as there is a special way
that you do pronounce it.
I want to play the game of life
without any regrets,
before the time of rest comes
and we both do find comfort
in whatever tomorrow may bring.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sometimes life is but a time by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Mousetrap, Herbert Nehrlich
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- If You Could, Brian J. Stafford
- Melancholy of a dreamer, Jonathan De Vocht
- The snow makes me happy., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Nilgiri Tahrs., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Wild boars., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Father Damiern, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Thunder In The Distance, Susan Lacovara
- Grant me Love! Demon., Leylek D. Sovura
- Test is on, Nassy Fesharaki
- Post Script, Susan Lacovara