A Female Friend
A good friend makes life easier
when destiny covers you with a dark blanket
and you have got nowhere to hide
she is there with a cup of tea
and a listening ear.
When the shoe of life does not fit anymore
she will be the one suggesting to get rid of it.
In the biggest shopping-mall she will help you find
whatever you do need
and when the scale indicates some gained weight
she will always say: “there is just a little more to love.”
She is the one that leaves messages on your phone
that says that she has prayed for you.
She is a person that helps carry the burdens of life
but does not get involved
and she always points you back to the cross of Christ..
A stone on the roof of the house,
a hello at the front gate,
a knock on the window of your car,
a card just to say: “I am thinking of you, ”
a hug and a kiss on the cheek and a tear
that is mutually shed
and a hand when the washing machine is out of order
and the basin is overflowing
and the dishes want to run away with the spoons
is the kind of friend that she is
and she does all of this because she wants to
and she is the one that understands
as she is a little bit like me.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Female Friend by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Old Hopes and New Shoes, Charles Hancock
- Pressure Of Racism, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Activities of life., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Wanderer at the hills of freedom, ABAYOMI OGUNNIYI
- Expressing Self, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- JULEKALENDER # X, Gunnar Mo.
- Raise voice against terrorism and racism, Aftab Alam
- Passion, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Immersing Self, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Hymn, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan