She Wants To Be Adored
I watched from the stairs of my home
As she brushed her hair with a glassy comb.
It's Saturday night and the speakers are singing,
The cars are rushing by, urged by the men they are bringing.
It's Saturday night and the booze is plenty,
Before her date tonight, four bottles are already empty.
Leering lecherously, he pulled her close,
He showed her the pills and she took one dose
He snorted loudly and licked her face,
He called her sexy and they went to her place.
He awoke a little before quarter to four,
Hurriedly and harriedly drove off in his Crosstour.
It's Sunday morning and Episcopal bells are ringing,
She's in the front row, 'Hail Hosanna' singing.
'Be as sister Grace' was the petit priest's reprise,
'As chaste, hardworking and not wanting a prize.'
She smiled and waved,
'Hallelujah, be like her, be saved'.
I shall never understand women said I once, my ire astir,
They know not what they want, their reasoning and conscience beyond repair.
That was after my third love went overboard...
Now I think I know she just wants to be adored.
Oke Christopher's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (She Wants To Be Adored by Oke Christopher )
- I almost was left behind., Sonia Ode Lucci
- Fairyland, Alesia Leach
- Lack of money does not mean lack of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- On The T.V., Hannah Bryson Price
- Why do need wisdom anytime?, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- it is almost poetry, Mandolyn ...
- Wisdom's great aim, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Our world is without any kind of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Dream packed drama, hasmukh amathalal
- A fool واحد احمق, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)