Set the Captives Free
She looked at me with her sad broken ice cold blue eyes.
A child that was once chained to a thick tall tree,
Forced to eat dog food,
Here she stoically still stood.
Gently pushing her blond hair from her thin chiseled narrow face,
She was of Caucasian race.
I could tell she wasn’t sure of her new place.
I could see her nervous mind race.
For now she was free,
But still a prisoner of the past,
Her soul finally cried out at last.
As her cleaning tears flowed,
Talking about her past,
She was once in shackled bondage,
Chained to a tree,
Her emotions shut off.
Her world cut off.
Now she was set free!
Free at last,
To run free, barefoot in the thick soft lush green grass feeling it tickling her toes,
Free to wake up in the morning not feeling the chains grow tighter.
Her world now lighter!
By, Patricia Kriegel-Kelley
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners
Isaiah 42: 7
to open eyes that are blind,
to free captives from prison
and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Set the Captives Free by Patricia Kelley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- [ABC]Watch Pretty Little Liars Season 5 .., Renz Barns
- Australia Day - 26 January 2015, Danny Draper
- Elope, Salleh Chowdhury
- Journey's End, Raymond A. Foss
- Dimly Lighting The Way, Margaret Alice Second
- Threads of Her Journey, Raymond A. Foss
- A Journey of Treasure, Raymond A. Foss
- spinning 2 StAnd $tiLL - can i cHaRge it?, sEaN nOrTh
- un-nerves sh#t - sweet child of mime, sEaN nOrTh
- The Wise Man, Brian J. Stafford