He's in this room?
He's not being rocked
Side to side.
He's so pale.
He was so brown and
Often red. Strange
To not see him under
The sun, moon and stars.
A white blanket over him.
White sheets under him.
His head floats on a white pillow
Like a fish head on a cushion of
The whitest sea foam.
All of its color washed out to sea.
The wrinkles on his face and neck
And the crinkles around his eyes
Seem ironed out by this artificial light.
His mouth is closed, and
To compete with the gulls
And the waves.
They're silenced now too
Behind the thick glass.
He would've liked this view of the bay.
The gulls fade away into
The gray after a quick fly by
Of the large window to his room.
They seem to know he's not coming back.
The sea seems to have lost interest
In the shore.
A couple of inches above
His feeding tube
The mermaid on his arm is
Dead in the water. A lifeless
Blue and red blob adrift in white water.
Getting back his sea legs,
His lips clamp down on
A moist sponge lowered
To his mouth. It's just reflex,
His soul has sailed on,
The white blanket over him
Gently rises and falls. Beneath it
His heart still sails along.
Francis Santaquilani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sailing On by Francis Santaquilani )
- imoremi, umoh cyril
- Palm's Greeting, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The land of the stars is the land of Sta.., Raymond Sawyer
- enjoy the silence.... in my fart, Jena Crowe
- Over-Ride, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Song, Blessing Ekpe
- Everyone Asks, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Sooner or later عاجلا ام اجلا, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Fools Game, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Dragons Of The Night, David Harris
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- In Flanders Field, John McCrae
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1927)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)