He's in this room?
He's not being rocked
Side to side.
He's so pale.
He was so brown and
Often red. Strange
To not see him under
The sun, moon and stars.
A white blanket over him.
White sheets under him.
His head floats on a white pillow
Like a fish head on a cushion of
The whitest sea foam.
All of its color washed out to sea.
The wrinkles on his face and neck
And the crinkles around his eyes
Seem ironed out by this artificial light.
His mouth is closed, and
To compete with the gulls
And the waves.
They're silenced now too
Behind the thick glass.
He would've liked this view of the bay.
The gulls fade away into
The gray after a quick fly by
Of the large window to his room.
They seem to know he's not coming back.
The sea seems to have lost interest
In the shore.
A couple of inches above
His feeding tube
The mermaid on his arm is
Dead in the water. A lifeless
Blue and red blob adrift in white water.
Getting back his sea legs,
His lips clamp down on
A moist sponge lowered
To his mouth. It's just reflex,
His soul has sailed on,
The white blanket over him
Gently rises and falls. Beneath it
His heart still sails along.
Francis Santaquilani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sailing On by Francis Santaquilani )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Mark Strand
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- When I am able to do what I like عندما ا.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- At Poemhunter, Khairul Ahsan
- Within My Dreams, Michael P. McParland
- In their ears, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- بےچینی تمھارے بنا, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- Fear of Falling, Sierra Staten
- The Story That Doesn't End, Sierra Staten
- Combined Simple Aspect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Person and Personality, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Light Up The Lamp Within You, Amitava Sur