We are Tigers
We are tigers.
You are the larger one.
I warred against your whirl,
Then billowed to your bite.
Now I measure the force
Of your affection for me
In pounds per square inch.
That last day,
Before you carried me away,
That bad and good day,
The last day I thought of nothing
Tall grass fanned my neck,
Half sleep was plump,
Clouds for clouds sake slid over me.
The day sank to my knees
And crawled with me in tow.
By your teeth
And your spin
The void fell away.
The day sped to a smudge
And clouds stampeded. And
One last look.
We are a team now.
Blasting the void,
Pouncing on colors, shapes and sound.
I am your eyes and you are my ears.
Yet we don't trust each other.
You'll never remove your teeth from my neck
And I clutch your thick tail, like a lifeline.
We are both hunter and prey.
We dream on the prowl.
My life is full of bones.
More picked clean than not.
My eyes burn.
A knee to the bed
Is the crack of a twig.
A yawn is a scent launched.
I feel your turn.
Francis Santaquilani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (We are Tigers by Francis Santaquilani )
- Beauty Never Lasts, Bareerah Bilal
- The Trail of the Snail, Frank Weedings
- Limerick-66, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- winter nights, lee fones
- The Raging Fire, Jasbir Chatterjee
- Veni, Vidi, Vici, Jasbir Chatterjee
- Escape to Freedom, Bareerah Bilal
- - White Buffalo -, Joe Muschaweck
- Plants are Soul of Earth, Rohit Sapra
- Phenomenal Woman या 'सम्पूर्ण स्त्री' (H.., Rajnish Manga
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)