far from the plumed flock,
above the vast stretch of sands,
over crags and boulders.
Flew into forlorn uncharted lands,
into the lure of the unknown,
Searching for a tree to perch.
A temporary haven in encircling fetters,
A home away from home.
Seeking comfort where none exists.
Saw the twilight nibbling at,
the blazing brightness,
from the sinking sun.
An orb of orange red.
A tad too naughty to tame,
playing out its few remaining moments.
Nowhere within eyeshot,
a crown of supine leafy green,
propped firm on poles of brown,
shooting out into the darkened sky.
Nor the whirr of nocturnal moths,
Leaving the hide of leprous barks.
Like a kite at the beck of winds,
Slipped out from the controlling grip,
With the string hanging loosely down,
I swayed and tossed in boundless blue.
Below lay the abysmal depths,
And sand dunes forming cancerous lumps.
The sun that sank into roaring depths,
Left not even a glint of light,
Unable to hold on to a willed direction,
And passing through the Stygian sky,
I knew my body growing heavy,
Felt the ache in every limb,
And the wings, losing their power to soar
x x x x x x
The descent was far too abrupt,
Rudderless and reeling, I dropped down,
Like a missile, blasted out,
And none heard the fierce thud!
Valsa George's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Rudder-less by Valsa George )
Did you read them?
- Invocation of Rain, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- Harness Racing (Poem), Doris Beaulieu
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 4, ramesh rai
- Light vs Smoke, Adele Bercich
- Just the beginning of that pretty Fall ف.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Fulani and His Cattle, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- LOVE, DRASHI SHAH
- LITTLE DREAM, DRASHI SHAH
- Together Alone, S. I. Rednow
- HOLDING HANDS.., DRASHI SHAH
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(3rd April 19sixty)
(17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)