far from the plumed flock,
above the vast stretch of sands,
over crags and boulders.
Flew into forlorn uncharted lands,
into the lure of the unknown,
Searching for a tree to perch.
A temporary haven in encircling fetters,
A home away from home.
Seeking comfort where none exists.
Saw the twilight nibbling at,
the blazing brightness,
from the sinking sun.
An orb of orange red.
A tad too naughty to tame,
playing out its few remaining moments.
Nowhere within eyeshot,
a crown of supine leafy green,
propped firm on poles of brown,
shooting out into the darkened sky.
Nor the whirr of nocturnal moths,
Leaving the hide of leprous barks.
Like a kite at the beck of winds,
Slipped out from the controlling grip,
With the string hanging loosely down,
I swayed and tossed in boundless blue.
Below lay the abysmal depths,
And sand dunes forming cancerous lumps.
The sun that sank into roaring depths,
Left not even a glint of light,
Unable to hold on to a willed direction,
And passing through the Stygian sky,
I knew my body growing heavy,
Felt the ache in every limb,
And the wings, losing their power to soar
x x x x x x
The descent was far too abrupt,
Rudderless and reeling, I dropped down,
Like a missile, blasted out,
And none heard the fierce thud!
Valsa George's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Rudder-less by Valsa George )
Did you read them?
- God and Most Young People, Is It Poetry
- Left Before She Was Found, Sierra Staten
- Child in Me, Sierra Staten
- Of the Seven Deadly Sins- Jealousy, Emily Liang
- Crashed Thrones, Abby Bilan
- BMO, A.R Evangelista
- Let it remain, hasmukh amathalal
- Miracle over, hasmukh amathalal
- In The Eyes Of The Lord, Tom Zart
- My feelings, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Autumn Days, Heather Burns
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)