far from the plumed flock,
above the vast stretch of sands,
over crags and boulders.
Flew into forlorn uncharted lands,
into the lure of the unknown,
Searching for a tree to perch.
A temporary haven in encircling fetters,
A home away from home.
Seeking comfort where none exists.
Saw the twilight nibbling at,
the blazing brightness,
from the sinking sun.
An orb of orange red.
A tad too naughty to tame,
playing out its few remaining moments.
Nowhere within eyeshot,
a crown of supine leafy green,
propped firm on poles of brown,
shooting out into the darkened sky.
Nor the whirr of nocturnal moths,
Leaving the hide of leprous barks.
Like a kite at the beck of winds,
Slipped out from the controlling grip,
With the string hanging loosely down,
I swayed and tossed in boundless blue.
Below lay the abysmal depths,
And sand dunes forming cancerous lumps.
The sun that sank into roaring depths,
Left not even a glint of light,
Unable to hold on to a willed direction,
And passing through the Stygian sky,
I knew my body growing heavy,
Felt the ache in every limb,
And the wings, losing their power to soar
x x x x x x
The descent was far too abrupt,
Rudderless and reeling, I dropped down,
Like a missile, blasted out,
And none heard the fierce thud!
Valsa George's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Rudder-less by Valsa George )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(march 12 1950)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Fish, Elizabeth Bishop
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- A Most Happy Holiday, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Christmas - Christmas, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Cage, Sarvesh wahie
- You Keep The Sea, Naveed Akram
- There's nothing like dance, Yisel Chong
- No One Could Ever Understand, Thabang Rakimane
- You made me evil, Yisel Chong
- The time machine, Yisel Chong
- Blue-eyed boy Mr. Death for e.e. cummings, r james sterzinger
- Salvation Jane, vince gullaci