The perfect child she has become
A mask to show the world
She smiles and seems to everyone
The perfect and happy girl.
The grades, the friends, the family
And looks that are to die
Yet hidden underneath that perfect mask
Is someone who tends to cry.
Take away that perfect mask
Of plastic and of porcelain
And there you’ll see a wounded soul
Filled with lies and sin.
Pressure, hate, anxiety
The feelings full of sorrow
Depression, longing, suffering
Will there be a new tomorrow?
She tries to show the entire world
The life they want from her
Yet deal with what she truly is
They don’t even want to bother.
She hides the identity of herself
And wears a false masquerade
Trying to please the ones she loves
And hoping to find a way.
Yet now I say to look at her
Upon her frozen grave
A perfect child now gone and lost
From those who didn’t save.
Genevieve Pilat's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Perfect Child by Genevieve Pilat )
- Casting Out My Worries To You, Monterio Hill
- The Initiation, Echezonachukwu Nduka
- Circular Cycle, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Unofficial Issues, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Closed, Annalee Hopkins Somerville
- Iridescent, Adriana Avila
- Arcadian, Kumarmani Mahakul
- A Hidden Angry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- irritating rash, lee fones
- Feeling Love, Sandra Feldman
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- First Lesson, Philip Booth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)