Walking slowly, slowly down
A dusty country road,
The shadows seem to grasp at me
And all around they spoke.
Lowly, lonely ghastly shadows
Grasp away my beating heart.
Walk on, walk on, the night grows old,
Brave heart, brave heart, 'tis but the light
That plays among the trees.
Shriek! - Suddenly my blood runs cold,
Shriek! - My heart, … no time to think,
My breath must fight to come at all,
My eyes have failed to blink.
A scream has split the shadows through
And pierced the night wind’s shrill.
From where could come such tragic sound,
From where or naught at all.
Straightforth outstept a farmer tall,
Who doffs his hat to me.
I see your frozen face does tell
That you have heard the call –
The love call of my pretty prize,
The glory of my state.
He stepped aside and there saw I –
Fake innocence and all –
A peacock spreading out his plumes,
Fitted out for another call.
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (.Peacock Solo by Adeline Foster )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Folds Of Death, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- hey dipstick, this is for you, Mandolyn Davidson
- Time - I know not, gajanan mishra
- Poetry is For Lovers, Cheryl Griffith
- The Darkest Side - Darkpalm21, Mark Clement Joseph S. Ferre ..
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -30, Ronjoy Brahma
- this is for you, dipstick, Mandolyn Davidson
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -29, Ronjoy Brahma
- Solitary, Claude H Oliver II
- Resolution?, Claude H Oliver II