O Thou bright jewel in my aim I strive
To comprehend thee. Thine own words declare
Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach.
I cease to wonder, and no more attempt
Thine height t' explore, or fathom thy profound.
But, O my soul, sink not into despair,
Virtue is near thee, and with gentle hand
Would now embrace thee, hovers o'er thine head.
Fain would the heav'n-born soul with her converse,
Then seek, then court her for her promis'd bliss.
Auspicious queen, thine heav'nly pinions spread,
And lead celestial Chastity along;
Lo! now her sacred retinue descends,
Array'd in glory from the orbs above.
Attend me, Virtue, thro' my youthful years!
O leave me not to the false joys of time!
But guide my steps to endless life and bliss.
Greatness, or Goodness, say what I shall call thee,
To give me an higher appellation still,
Teach me a better strain, a nobler lay,
O thou, enthron'd with Cherubs in the realms of day.
Phillis Wheatley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On Virtue by Phillis Wheatley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Michael P. McParland
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- So Tired(I Need You), Michael P. McParland
- colour of love, Prince Lartey
- Total Mystery, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- When I Die, Kelly Shanks
- Butterflies, Michael P. McParland
- Buckeye Fever Sweeping Terror Over Thier.., Michael P. McParland
- Breaking Free, Michael P. McParland
- Brand New Start, Michael P. McParland
- Bipolar Type 1, Michael P. McParland
- Bipolar, Michael P. McParland