Ode To Neptune
On Mrs. W-----'s Voyage to England.
WHILE raging tempests shake the shore,
While AElus' thunders round us roar,
And sweep impetuous o'er the plain
Be still, O tyrant of the main;
Nor let thy brow contracted frowns betray,
While my Susanna skims the wat'ry way.
The Pow'r propitious hears the lay,
The blue-ey'd daughters of the sea
With sweeter cadence glide along,
And Thames responsive joins the song.
Pleas'd with their notes Sol sheds benign his ray,
And double radiance decks the face of day.
To court thee to Britannia's arms
Serene the climes and mild the sky,
Her region boasts unnumber'd charms,
Thy welcome smiles in ev'ry eye.
Thy promise, Neptune keep, record my pray'r,
Not give my wishes to the empty air.
Phillis Wheatley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ode To Neptune by Phillis Wheatley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(23 January 1930)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Be Kind, Charles Bukowski
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Free To Be, Spiritwind Wood
- The One I Wanted For Me, Spiritwind Wood
- Faced with fears of a wide blank canvass, Mark Heathcote
- All Just A Game, Spiritwind Wood
- Forever Black, Spiritwind Wood
- For the Love of Your Life, Sandra Feldman
- Flame Of My Soul, Spiritwind Wood
- Inside, Spiritwind Wood
- Until You Look Through My Eyes, Spiritwind Wood
- In the Span of Life, R B Seals