I'm Where I Belong
Up in this tree,
I feel so free.
It’s a place where I can breathe.
I’m like a honey bee smelling sweet nectar from an Oklahoma Mimosa Tree.
Staring into the bright Oklahoma blue skies,
Where God hears my cries,
And the birds and I Sing,
Healing each other’s broken wings.
Because down there on earth.
Since my birth,
I’ve felt so many stings.
But, up in this tree, I can climb higher and higher.
Where no liar,
Can reach me,
This is where I can be me, smelling the sweet mimosa tree.
Where mimosa tickles my nose,
It smells better than a prickly rose.
And here I see how life really goes.
No one can hurt me anymore.
Until I come down.
And feel my foes.
But for some girls this is the way life goes.
Because sometimes there are people that really don’t care.
Life isn’t always fair.
I’ll just share.
My feelings with the birds,
Because we’re a like,
Me and the birds,
They never know which way a broken wing is going to come from.
Life doesn’t always throw you a sweet plum.
But up in this tree, where I feel so free.
I can suck my thumb.
It’s a place where I don’t feel dumb.
I can make a crown from mimosa blossoms.
And I don’t have to play dead like a possum.
I can make my crown.
Because if no one else sees a princess.
I see a princess in me.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I'm Where I Belong by Patricia Kelley )
- Elfin song, Emmanuel George Cefai
- To Have To Worry, Emmanuel George Cefai
- I heard these verses in a dream, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The centuries pass, my friend, Emmanuel George Cefai
- I heard a violin, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Epitaph on John Rankine, Robert Burns
- When the rains fall, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The Whistle: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- I Was Done With The World But My Heart R.., Melikhaya Zagagana
- revolutionary, Tinashe mulambo
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Frog and The Nightingale, Vikram Seth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 June 1952 -)