I'm Where I Belong
Up in this tree,
I feel so free.
It’s a place where I can breathe.
I’m like a honey bee smelling sweet nectar from an Oklahoma Mimosa Tree.
Staring into the bright Oklahoma blue skies,
Where God hears my cries,
And the birds and I Sing,
Healing each other’s broken wings.
Because down there on earth.
Since my birth,
I’ve felt so many stings.
But, up in this tree, I can climb higher and higher.
Where no liar,
Can reach me,
This is where I can be me, smelling the sweet mimosa tree.
Where mimosa tickles my nose,
It smells better than a prickly rose.
And here I see how life really goes.
No one can hurt me anymore.
Until I come down.
And feel my foes.
But for some girls this is the way life goes.
Because sometimes there are people that really don’t care.
Life isn’t always fair.
I’ll just share.
My feelings with the birds,
Because we’re a like,
Me and the birds,
They never know which way a broken wing is going to come from.
Life doesn’t always throw you a sweet plum.
But up in this tree, where I feel so free.
I can suck my thumb.
It’s a place where I don’t feel dumb.
I can make a crown from mimosa blossoms.
And I don’t have to play dead like a possum.
I can make my crown.
Because if no one else sees a princess.
I see a princess in me.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I'm Where I Belong by Patricia Kelley )
- Snapshot of a Mass Murderer, Paul Hartal
- Die Frau des Gastwirts, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Las Mariposas (the Butterflies), John F. McCullagh
- Hindsight coloured, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Practise dispassion., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Reichsbank Gold, Paul Hartal
- Ferguson Grand Jury, Is It Poetry
- The lost bliss, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Sonnet: Christmas,2014(Advance Greetings), Dr John Celes
- Thread of Communication, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(22 March 1941 -)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)