I'm Where I Belong
Up in this tree,
I feel so free.
It’s a place where I can breathe.
I’m like a honey bee smelling sweet nectar from an Oklahoma Mimosa Tree.
Staring into the bright Oklahoma blue skies,
Where God hears my cries,
And the birds and I Sing,
Healing each other’s broken wings.
Because down there on earth.
Since my birth,
I’ve felt so many stings.
But, up in this tree, I can climb higher and higher.
Where no liar,
Can reach me,
This is where I can be me, smelling the sweet mimosa tree.
Where mimosa tickles my nose,
It smells better than a prickly rose.
And here I see how life really goes.
No one can hurt me anymore.
Until I come down.
And feel my foes.
But for some girls this is the way life goes.
Because sometimes there are people that really don’t care.
Life isn’t always fair.
I’ll just share.
My feelings with the birds,
Because we’re a like,
Me and the birds,
They never know which way a broken wing is going to come from.
Life doesn’t always throw you a sweet plum.
But up in this tree, where I feel so free.
I can suck my thumb.
It’s a place where I don’t feel dumb.
I can make a crown from mimosa blossoms.
And I don’t have to play dead like a possum.
I can make my crown.
Because if no one else sees a princess.
I see a princess in me.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I'm Where I Belong by Patricia Kelley )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(22 March 1941 -)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- [®XLIX~]Watch Super Bowl 2015 (49) Live.., Renz Barns
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Poetry Is Scrapbooking, Dexsta Ray
- Avoid The Android, Erhard Hans Josef Lang
- So To Differentiate (False Humility), Dexsta Ray
- Sincere Effort, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- LA PREMIÈRE FOIS, Rosie Bourget
- Drunk, Abby Sze
- So is Love, Jayatissa Liyanage
- A World Without Colour, Alex Lear
- À TOI, Rosie Bourget
- Psalm 077, Forrest Hainline