I'm Where I Belong
Up in this tree,
I feel so free.
It’s a place where I can breathe.
I’m like a honey bee smelling sweet nectar from an Oklahoma Mimosa Tree.
Staring into the bright Oklahoma blue skies,
Where God hears my cries,
And the birds and I Sing,
Healing each other’s broken wings.
Because down there on earth.
Since my birth,
I’ve felt so many stings.
But, up in this tree, I can climb higher and higher.
Where no liar,
Can reach me,
This is where I can be me, smelling the sweet mimosa tree.
Where mimosa tickles my nose,
It smells better than a prickly rose.
And here I see how life really goes.
No one can hurt me anymore.
Until I come down.
And feel my foes.
But for some girls this is the way life goes.
Because sometimes there are people that really don’t care.
Life isn’t always fair.
I’ll just share.
My feelings with the birds,
Because we’re a like,
Me and the birds,
They never know which way a broken wing is going to come from.
Life doesn’t always throw you a sweet plum.
But up in this tree, where I feel so free.
I can suck my thumb.
It’s a place where I don’t feel dumb.
I can make a crown from mimosa blossoms.
And I don’t have to play dead like a possum.
I can make my crown.
Because if no one else sees a princess.
I see a princess in me.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I'm Where I Belong by Patricia Kelley )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 March 1907 – 11 September 1987)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Solitary Reaper, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- woman pride, ademola oluwabusayo
- For Her, M.J. Lemon
- I Broke My Leg, M.J. Lemon
- Get Together in NCCF Benue, Dare Onadele
- A Man Dying, M.J. Lemon
- Force Of Nature, R B Seals
- People I See Sometimes, Casey Renee Kiser
- The Song of My Heart, Amber Carr
- Tales Of A Wife: My Devil, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- ARRIVAL DAY, michael walkerjohn