I Like Canadians
By A Foreigner
I like Canadians.
They are so unlike Americans.
They go home at night.
Their cigarettes don't smell bad.
Their hats fit.
They really believe that they won the war.
They don't believe in Literature.
They think Art has been exaggerated.
But they are wonderful on ice skates.
A few of them are very rich.
But when they are rich they buy more horses
Than motor cars.
Chicago calls Toronto a puritan town.
But both boxing and horse-racing are illegal
Nobody works on Sunday.
That doesn't make me mad.
There is only one Woodbine.
But were you ever at Blue Bonnets?
If you kill somebody with a motor car in Ontario
You are liable to go to jail.
So it isn't done.
There have been over 500 people killed by motor cars
So far this year.
It is hard to get rich in Canada.
But it is easy to make money.
There are too many tea rooms.
But, then, there are no cabarets.
If you tip a waiter a quarter
He says 'Thank you.'
Instead of calling the bouncer.
They let women stand up in the street cars.
Even if they are good-looking.
They are all in a hurry to get home to supper
And their radio sets.
They are a fine people.
I like them.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Like Canadians by Ernest Hemingway )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Preface To A Twenty Volume Suicide Note, Imamu Amiri Baraka
- Out, Out, Robert Frost
- Barter, Sara Teasdale
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Changing Everything, Jane Hirshfield
- If Thou Of Fortune Be Bereft, John Greenleaf Whittier
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
Poem of the Day
- Earth's work of heart, Roann Mendriq
- Poem for Gushungo, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- A Cheaper Way To Fly, Darren Hobson
- Dear Lonely Animal,, Oni Buchanan
- And The World, Darren Hobson
- Heaven Must Be A Lonely Place, Derek Brendish
- all at once..., ging taping
- Could I Walk Alone?, Derek Brendish
- Human Karma, Harindhar Reddy
- A Madman, Tanya K.Tuomi