I Am Old, I Am Not Invisible
I am still breathing I can hear, and I can see.
Why do you always just look straight past me?
Why is it that I always find
when it comes to me you seem quite blind?
How exactly do you see me
As a person or a used to be?
I am old and you aren't yet
And sometimes I can forget,
But that's no reason for you to ignore
That I am just as human as I was before.
I once was young, just like you
I lived a busy life and had a family too.
But now I languish all alone
Forgotten and left in the ignoring zone.
I sit here and wait for the day to come
When at last my time will be done,
And I can leave and find permanent peace
For me it will be a blessed release.
Perhaps if you could stop to ponder
That time leads everyone to the great blue yonder,
Then, maybe you'd realise
That there is a mind behind these eyes.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I Am Old, I Am Not Invisible by Tom Higgins )
- Paper slip, hasmukh amathalal
- SHADES OF LOVE, sherif monem
- A Shoulder to Weep, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Help me I am here, Dustin Hardin
- Into your kingdom, hasmukh amathalal
- High rise, hasmukh amathalal
- Before Death, Ajaeyy Raaj
- the toothless Tiger Dynasties, veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- The Spray, Akhtar Jawad
- Think and breathe, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)