I Am Old, I Am Not Invisible
I am still breathing I can hear, and I can see.
Why do you always just look straight past me?
Why is it that I always find
when it comes to me you seem quite blind?
How exactly do you see me
As a person or a used to be?
I am old and you aren't yet
And sometimes I can forget,
But that's no reason for you to ignore
That I am just as human as I was before.
I once was young, just like you
I lived a busy life and had a family too.
But now I languish all alone
Forgotten and left in the ignoring zone.
I sit here and wait for the day to come
When at last my time will be done,
And I can leave and find permanent peace
For me it will be a blessed release.
Perhaps if you could stop to ponder
That time leads everyone to the great blue yonder,
Then, maybe you'd realise
That there is a mind behind these eyes.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I Am Old, I Am Not Invisible by Tom Higgins )
- Life's a Ball, Alice Cordy
- 'Did I ever Exist? ', Ananta Madhavan
- Keep safe, hasmukh amathalal
- Sunshine, Hanh Chau
- The Power Of Prayer, Tom Zart
- Mini Pool Tournament, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael McParland
- Ongoing Mental De-Evolution, michael walkerjohn
- Crossroads Of Destiny, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Spaces Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1 February 1927)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)